1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

vxdmgr32.exe

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by travisflahr, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. travisflahr

travisflahr Thread Starter

When I boot my computer I get a message saying
    "Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vxdmgr32.exe' You may have typed the name incorrectly in the Run dialog, or another open program cannot find a system file. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."
    Anyways, I have tried the search, and no files are found. This doesn't seem to be affecting the operation of my computer, other than the annoyance of the message.
    I have tried to reload my whole computer, but the same message still comes up.
    Is there anyway I can get this file back?
    I am using Windows ME if that helps

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Have you run a virus scan lately? And when you say you tried to reload your whole computer, how did you go about doing that?

3. P3-450

P3-450

As Acacandy said, run a virus scan with updated defs.

you may have the W32/Dumaru-A

Good Luck:)

4. faustxxx

faustxxx

I've been having the same exact problem as Travis. I got the latest defs from Symantec, ran a full scan and it found a Trojan Horse named inst.exe which the software says it's unable to Quarantine or Delete it (money well worth spent...) Anyways, i've contacted Symantec about this and they've done an outstanding job so far as not replying back as of yet.

I'm not sure if this the same thing as or familiar to the W32/Dumaru-A but i also have the pop-up when i restart my computer, "Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vxdmgr32.exe".

In addition (not sure if it might be related), My Norton Internet Security has detected a TON of non-viral threat Adwares (more than i can count) which it ALSO is unable to Quarantine or Delete (sigh). My SpySweeper fails to detech any of these multitudes of adwares too.

So, can anyone with professional gifts tell me what i should do?

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It was a virus (W32.Bambo ) and you no longer have it. That is why the error message that the file can't be found. That is a good thing.

Now you just need to run MSCONFIG / Startup and uncheck the box that references that file.

6. faustxxx

faustxxx

thanks bob, that is good news. Now how do i run MSCONFIG? Where is it? :)

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Start / Run / MSCONFIG

Click on the Startup tab
    Uncheck any references to that file.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice