1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

w/2000- can't download photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by jakewade, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jakewade

jakewade Thread Starter

good morning folks,

basic problem, cannot find solution.

my camera is a canon powershot a95. my computer is a sony vaio lap pcg- fx220k running indows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (build 2195). using either of the usb connections on the computer -

am not able to find or use a program that will allow me to download photos from my camera. i tried to use the extremely large, cumbersome, and seemingly propriatary canon software to no avail...and i really don't want to use it at all any way ... too cumbersome. i keep getting promp to find and load files of the install disc and that still doesn't work.

when i turn on the camera and it is recognized by the computer i am prompted to use either abbyy fine reader, canoncamera window or kodak imaging ... none work

have tried other programs like picasso and roadrunner's photo show and get similar errors - program: ra~1\roadru~1\data\xtras\mini_twain_acquire.exe ...abnormal program ....or something close to that...

downloaded nabocorp cam2pc and when it searches for my camera the program freezes and i have to end task to move on....

would really like to be able to store my photos all in one place on this computer so that i can use them without having to go to another computers.

have been thinking of just upgrading w2000 to xp just to use the default imaging program but seems like something else would work on 2000.

any suggestions?

thanks ahead of time,

jake

2. Knotbored

Knotbored

since youhave Picasa try this
    FILE/IMPORT FROM/SELECT DEVISE and see if your camera is listed

On other programs look in FILE/select TWAIN devise. (it will list scanners and maybe your camera.)

3. slipe

slipe

With the camera connected go to My Computer or Windows Explorer and see if it created a drive. You can download directly from that if the drive shows.

Click on the drive then the folders until you get the individual image files. Select all and copy. Right click where you want them and paste.

4. jakewade

jakewade Thread Starter

hey knotbored, slipe,

thank for your quick replies....

knotbored,

went ahead and reloaded picassa and went to file/import/ select device... 2 devices ... hp scan & canon usb .. clicked on canon usb and it literally turned the program off.... did it a couple of times ... same results...had to go to task manager and end the program before i could use the rest of my pc.

and.....

went to cam2pc tried the same again and it locked up the program again...

slipe,

a real and maybe significant issue is unlike in win-xp, win 2000 doesn't actually recognize the usb connection, at least in the windows explorer window... never has....and ... down in the bottom right hand corner where there is an icon for unplug or eject hardware , the only thing listed there is my printer and my wireless card...

history.... i've visited and revisited this issue several times in the last couple of months just to end up kind of throwing my hands up in defeat and using my other computers to download the pics and sending what i need to my laptop via e mail or cd transfer. pain in the you know what ... so every once in a while i try to resolve the issue... again, to no avail. i even tried to go to microsoft and install their win xp image viewer but really just couldn't find it. i remember when i inherited this lap and went to start/ run/ msconfig to adjust the start up programs and msconfig didn't exist.... i had to go to microsoft and download it......thought maybe i could do the same for the viewer.....

i do appreciate your time and your suggestions and if you have any more i surely will try them. i just figure someone out there somewhere has licked this issue and that's my eventual intention.

appreciate it and adios amigos for tonight,
    jake

5. slipe

slipe

I notice Canon updated the twain driver for Win2k/Win98SE for the A95 in January 06. If you haven’t tried that you might download it.

The twain files can be easily corrupted for some reason. I would assume that the A95 twain driver works like the twain driver on scanners in that it will install the twain files only if they are missing. You might try the fix for scanners with corrupted twain files.

Uninstall or remove the current driver. Do a search for twain and delete all of the twain files and folders in the Windows folder. Don’t delete anything not in the Windows folder. Reinstall the driver – I would use the newest from the Canon site.

It might be a good idea to clean out the recycle bin before you do that. If the driver doesn’t install the twain files you will be able to at least get back where you were with a restore from the recycle bin.

The procedure is standard for scanners. It seems it should work for cameras with a twain driver.

My Olympus camera showed as a drive in Win98SE even though WIA wasn’t available. Even if it doesn’t show as a drive you might be able to access it through software if the twain files need sorting out.

6. jakewade

jakewade Thread Starter

morning slipe,...at least here in austin...

downloaded the newset driver, ran the install , rebooted and unfortunately, the results have not changed.....

if you think of anything else, please don't hesitate to post or e mail me.... sure would like to solve this problem!

thank you for your time and suggestions,

jake

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice