1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W 7 Confusion

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by d_l_v, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. d_l_v

d_l_v Thread Starter

I just transferred to a new machine with W7 and I have both confusion and questions.

Can you run XP mode having only the home prem. version of W7. The discussions of virtual machines or worlds is way beyond me except that I did enable virtual something on the bios.

I am trying to use this computer for both my wife and myself and want the 2 accounts o be totally seperatebut share a few folders. Clicking on "share this folder" sets it to a shared mode but I can't figure out how to access it from the other acct. It doesn't show up anywhere that I can find,

When I install a program it seems to install on both accounts. Is there a way to install only on one acct and not have it be available on the desktop of other acct. or even accessable to that acct.

Sorry for such basic questions, appreciate any help.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

No, only Pro and Ultimate

Normally the program installer will have a tickbox "install for this user only" or similar, you can tick this so it will only install for that user.

3. Hughv

Hughv

For sharing between accounts, use the "Public" folder.

4. antech

antech Banned

For most of the programs,this option is not available.

5. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Can plain "Virtual PC" be installed on a "Home Premium" machine? Mine has the required minimum specs as outlined at the MS site.

{redoak}

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Yes, it can. But you need a full Windows license for that virtual system, and it can't be an OEM license that was used on another computer or the license used as a qualifying product for a Windows upgrade.

The Windows XP license is included with the Windows XP Mode feature. It's not included with VirtualPC.

7. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Many thanks for the rely and info. I do have a "license" and CD for "XP Home." That CD was used to load the OS on a discarded computer. I now have a Toshiba with Ws 7. I had thought of "double booting" on that computer, but saw the comment below and thought I would try the "Virtual PC" approach.

Any further observations would be welcomed, and they might help the OP of this Thread, too, which is why I interposed my question..

{redoak}

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice