w xp sp3, new, questionable, gray pop up box

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

graceys

Hi,
I use windows xp sp3 and we have at&t connection. I am using one of the 2 desktop computers in our home and they are not networked as far as I know. I currently use firefox browser. I hope this is the best forum for this question,

Around a month ago, for the first time ever, I got a gray pop up box that said at the top: Network connections. Under that it says: You (or a program) has requested (and I cant remember the next word, because I just lost my whole first post cause I was not signed when I clicked post, due to this being my first visit after confirmation in my email :( I hope you can help anyways! The box popped up while I was writing my first post and therefore I could look at it as I wrote but now its gone and so is my perfectly informative post). I'm sorry. Anyways... It says: you (or a program) has requested (maybe information?) from cr-tools.clients.google.com. (a previous box requested picasa.com, then another requested tools.google.com) Under that it says: which connection do you want to use? Inside the gray box there is a white area in the middle that has a browser listed, I remember that it said IE one time and MSN explorer this time. Towards the bottom left, it has a box to click to choose the question it asks: Dont ask me again til I log on next time. At the very bottom on the left it has a button that says settings and on the right it has ok or cancel. I click cancel every time.
What is this? I was concerned it was a hacker! But with my limited computer use and knowledge, I have no idea what this is about.

Thank you very much, Graceys

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Next time you see that box, can you please post a screenshot of it?

1- Hit the Printscreen key on your keyboard. This will copy your entire screen to the clipboard. Hitting ALT + Printscreen will only copy the active window.

2- Open Paint.

3- Select Edit.

4- Click on Paste.

5- Select File.

6- Click on Save As...

7- Save your screenshot as a JPEG file.

8- Attach the screenshot to your next post.

How to Attach a File on TSG

graceys

Thanks for your reply and the instructions! I followed them to a T as far as I can tell, Ive never done this before. Lets see what happens, I hope it shows up when I hit submit! You will see google in the background of the grey box if it posts, sorry... :)

Attachments

graceys

AH HA! success! It showed up pestering me several times tonight. Every time I clicked cancel, it popped back up repeatedly. Finally went away again. It says it wants a different area for info nearly every time. This time it wanted translate.google!

graceys

Thank you kindly, Phantom010. I read the instructions and switched to classic view, then double clicked the correct icon, and saw 2 connections, but then I didnt see a properties selection when I right clicked, and things got a bit questionable for me as to what to do next. I did get a menu with details listed as an option and I did try opening a few panels from there but then backed out as it wasnt exactly as shown. I will be away from my computer for the next 3 or 4 days. Then I guess I may have to do some more screenshots, for you to see what I see? It may take me a while, my sincere apologies! Thanks again for your time!
Gracey

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
If you can't see Properties after right-clicking, simply double-click your connections and click the Properties button inside that window. Then, select the Advanced tab.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online