1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W00T - Computer Repair/Tech Support...Simple Stuff Survival Kit?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by *ne0n*, May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. *ne0n*

*ne0n* Thread Starter

ALOT of people in my high school have ad-ware and spyware and the like on their computers and complain about it ALL the time. They also have viruses, slow computers (i.e. so many programs starting up during boot). I have never had any problems with this sort of stuff because I take care of my computer through Zone Alarm, Norton, AVG, and Spybot, but I was wondering what would be a good survival kit for a couple cd's that I could carry around with me to fix these people's computers? I figure I'll put Spybot, Ad-Aware 6, AVG 7.0, but what else should I put in my survival kit? I'm sure there are tons of other awesome programs that would be useful, but are there programs like Zone Alarm and Norton that are free that I can install? Also, what commands could I run? I know the standards, i.e. msconfig, but any other information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help.

2. bookime wood

bookime wood

Free firewall, try sygate, very good uses loads less resources than zone alarm, get it from download.com, also try kerio firewall, look for version 2.

Windows washer, not free but a must have program http://www.webroot.com/

Winpatrol, free and a superb program, you can lock host file and it warns of new program installation http://www.winpatrol.com/

a2 free just have to register, a superb anti dialer/spyware program http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

bookime

3. *ne0n*

*ne0n* Thread Starter

Uber, thanks.

4. Miz

Miz

Also get a winsock fix in case, despite Ad-Aware's and Spybot's best efforts, spyware leaves behind a damaged winsock. I've used LSPFix with good results and there are several others out there.

If you've educated yourself on interpreting Hijack This logs, it's a great tool.

If you use any utilities that are zipped, either include a copy of Winzip or some other unzipper on your CD or unzip the utilities into a folder and put the folder on the CD. Invariably, the very utility you need is zipped and the machine you're wanting to use it on either doesn't have an unzipper and can't get online to download one or is on a slow dialup.

Other things I have on my utilities CD:
    Complete IE6..one for XP, one for Win98; Keyfinder; XP Service Pack 1a; Blaster Tools; the WinME version of defrag.exe to replace that sloooow defrag on Win98 and, finally, my entire "Windows Tips" folder. That's a folder of text files (106 at last count) containing all the tips, tricks, registry edits, etc., I've encountered on forums and various geek web sites. I've used the information in those text files at least as much as I've used Spybot and Ad-Aware....and I use them pretty much every time I go on a call. ;)

Oh yeah...if you're going to include AVG, don't forget a text file with a serial number so you can get AVG installed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/228133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice