1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved W10 doesn't recognize RAM

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by odehart, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. odehart

odehart Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Quad-Core Processor, x64 Family 23 Model 1 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3547 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 297 GB (251 GB Free); D: 931 GB (802 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd, B350M PRO-VDH (MS-7A38)
    Antivirus: adaware antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I actually have 16gb [2x8] installed. BIOS recognizes the 16 gb as installed . However, W10 shows only 3.46 gb usable with or without MaxRam checked. It never recognizes the full 16 gb. As you can see above this software also only recognizes 3.5 gb [usable?]. BIOS shows 8 gb in slot 2 and 8 gb in slot 4 which are the MSI recommended slots. How do I make W10 aware of the 16 gig of memory?

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    Have you checked "msconfig" in the "boot" tab under "advanced" and make sure that "maximum memory" is not checked. ?

3. odehart

odehart Thread Starter

That was the first thing I tried. Default was max ram unchecked. I checked max ram and it read max as like 14 gb. W10 still gave back 3.4 gb usable with 16 gb installed. So it makes no difference checked or unchecked. I am considering reinstalling 10 but don't know if that would resolve the issue. It seems to me that W10 should recognize the added memory automatically. But that is obviously not the case.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Your computer is using only 3.46 GB of its 16 GB of RAM because it's running the 32-bit version of Windows 10 Pro.

If you want all 16 GB to be used, you need to switch to the 64-bit version.

As long as you use the 32-bit version, it will not use more than about 3.50 GB.

There is no magical way to make it do otherwise.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Paul23 likes this.
  5. odehart

odehart Thread Starter

I had no idea that the 32 bit was limited like that. I don't know if any of my favorite software would run in 64 bit. Pegasus Mail and Chrome will I think. Do programs like Malwarbytes run in 64 bit systems? Short of trying to reinstall everything to find out if it works, is there some sort of magical way to tell in advance? I'll have to check on getting the 64 bit.

6. odehart

odehart Thread Starter

Addendum to my previous post. I just installed W10 and it apparently defaulted to 32 bit. How would I install it as 64 bit? The installation disk says it is 32/64 bit. I don't recall ever being given the option.

7. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
  8. odehart

odehart Thread Starter

What a hassle. Says I have to do a clean install to get the 64 bit. I'll have to think about it. Thanks for your help.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Paul is correct.
    You cannot do an "upgrade" install from Windows 10 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit.
    You need to do a "clean" install of Windows 10 64-bit.
    As long as you're using Windows 10 32-bit, your computer has no need for more than 4 GB of RAM.
    It won't hurt anything though with leaving 16 GB in it.

Many programs will install and work in both 32-bit and 64-bit, but some programs require installing a 32-bit or 64-bit version.
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will install and work in both versions.
    I've never used Google Chrome or Pegasus Mail, so I can't advise if the same applies.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Paul23 likes this.
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice