1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W2k error message 'cpew2kup.exe.lnk' is unavailable'

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Catullus, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catullus

Catullus Thread Starter

Hello,
    I run a fully patched and updated W2k pro. on an HP professional workstation, 'Visualize X-Class', twin processors, 4GB RAM, twin SCSI HDD, SCSI tape drive, CDD, FDD. HP Deskjet 970Cxi, HP Scanjet 5200C.
    The system never goes on line as I use it for financial purposes only; not going on line is the best security system that I know.

Recently I had a glitch with my scanner, suddenly the PC would not recognise the scanner. I did all the usual first aid things, check connections, reboot etc. No cure. I uninstalled the scanner software (drivers and application packages), then did a clean install from original HP software, hey presto my scanner works correctly again: BUT.
    Every time I start the system, after all of the preliminaries are complete, I sign in and my desktop screen is displayed, and there plastered across the middle of the screen is the error message:

"The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'cpew2kup.exe.lnk refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again."

I'm mystified by this message, as all system hardware and software appears to be functioning correctly; I can clear the error message and proceed as usual with my work.

Can anyone offer an explanation, or clues as to where to look for the offending event causing the error message, or best of all a solution to the question 'how do I clear this error?'

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!