1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W2k install problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Frank Bell, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frank Bell

Frank Bell Thread Starter

I'm upgrading a machine to W2k. I started by formating C:, since I wanted a clean install, put the W2k install disk in the CD drive, and restarted... but the system doesn't recognize it as a bootable CD. I tried booting with a W98 floppy, with CDROM support, and it can see the CD just fine. (I tried running "Setup" from the dos prompt, but that didn't work... should it?) I accessed the setup menu via F2, and the bios is set up to boot off the CDROM drive.

Am I doing something wrong? (Obviously!) The machine is an HP, P II, about 300 mh, formerly running NT4 Terminal Server.

Frank

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I don't think you can upgrade the NT Terminal Sever to Windows 2000. Try this command:

WINNT32.EXE /CHECKUPGRADEONLY

This command will check to see if it can be upgraded and looks for any issues.

The setup file should have been WINNT32.EXE for Windows NT.
    I don't know what version yours is so I thought it might be needed

3. Frank Bell

I just formated C:, so it's not really an upgrade... rather a new installation. Shouldn't be a problem with that, right?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If the Windows 2000 CD is the Full version, then it should boot up normally.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Try running WINNT.EXE instead of SETUP.EXE

6. cogniscent

cogniscent

Boot with the W98 disk. I would suggest having the smartdrive utility running, if not the file copying portion of the install will take all night.
    In the W2K CD, go into the I386 folder and run the file WINNT.exe . This will install the O/S. Good Luck

7. Frank Bell

Thanks... but what do I need to do to have the smartdrive running? Does that take place when I run winnt.exe?

8. cogniscent

cogniscent

Smartdrive is a little cache program, the install will happen whether or not it is running. Smartdrive will just make it happen faster( about10* faster, I've done both). Have fun.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

cogniscent is completely correct. Download smartdrv.exe [just do a search] put it on your boot floppy. Type smartdrv.exe and smartdrive loads. Change to the i386 folder on your win2k cd and type "winnt" without the quotes. Setup will start and run.

There is another [more correct] way to do this as well. Make the four setup disks for win2k. You can download the program to make them from bootdisk.com or there is a folder on your win2k disk called makeboot or makedisk [it has been quite a while since I have had to make them] run the program and have four floppies ready.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice