w2k lan access

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Andrewl

I am having problems accessing the server on w2k net, what specific problems would cause the message: server is not available, and the list of servers for this workgroup is not available

There are a few things that would cause this. The computer has not joined the domain, the IP address is not part of the local network with no route set to the LAN or there is no physical connection to the network (bad cable, NIC drivers not configured, etc)

THe first one to look at is the physical connection and then go from there.

Are you running Win2K on all systems or just for server...?

Are the machines configured for same network host & subnet...?

If so, are you able to ping the server...?

Have you setup network shares on the server....?

Hello , I have Windows 2000 running on my laptop and Windows Me on a desktop and windows 98 on another desktop, and I am trying to install windows 2000 on the desktop which has windows 98 but it keeps rejecting my product key number,
but the other computer accepted it,

what do you think the problem is ?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, one problem I see is you're violating the Microsoft EULA by attempting to one copy on two machines. :)

No, I have mobile rack installed on my pc's of 2-3 and laptops

attempting to learn to network and having problems seeing each
computer, can ping each other and sometimes can see computers in neighborhood, but can't share files or us my central printer for print sharing,

I am running windows 98Me on one desktop and Win2000adv
server on the other desktop and 3com pcmcia card for laptop
so I wanted to pull win2kprof from one of the other desktops and
change with adv server Microsoft sent me along with .net and see it that was the bottleneck ?

However, what I was thinking in my head seemed simple until I tried it out ?

If I have to upgrade to win2k on the winMe desktop I will, but
I would like to know if this would fix my problem ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online