W2k Moves to extended support June 30, 2005

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NotAGeek

I'm still new here, so I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this.

I cut my teeth years ago on Basic and Cobol. Loved CPM (remember that) and Unix (user friendly). Even dabbled with Commodore and Amiga. Migrated to MS 3.1 all the way to 6.0., Win 95a and b, Win 98 and SE. I tried but didn't use MS' ME, what a MEss (this was really Win 98 3rd edition - a fill in between OSes - my, how imaginative and creative!). But, in all fairness, it does take an army of people and money to write code for current operating systems, even if they do come out flawed....too many people in the kitchen?

MS, as you know, no longer provides support for Win98SE. And now we come to this (I just thought you'd like to know): Microsoft announces - "Windows 2000 moves into Extended Support after June 30th, 2005". Read some of the comments here (and of all things at MS' own IE Blog site!): http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/05/27/422721.aspx I am forever amazed! If this keeps up, the Linux world shall surely descend upon us by default. It seems that the browser war that MS fought so hard to monopolize has finally backfired on them. By having integrated IE so tightly into the OS (to prove to themselves that IE really was a part of the OS, as they so $artfully$ argued in court after the browser wars) they created a lovely portal by which any number of internet nasties could enter OUR computers. Reading the various Hijack postings here attests to this fact. Of course we should use a good anti-virus, adware and firewall. But lets get real. Wake up folks! Repeat after me - "Internet Explorer and your never ending security patches, depart from me" Switch to Mozilla / Firefox, Opera or something else.

Win2kPro is the most stable Windows OS I have ever used. But even W2k's first release contained many flaws: http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/1908p041id52345.htm But notice that was primarily W2k not W2kPro. How could this be? My younger brother is a computer programmer and had the opportunity to examine some of MS' OS code while in college. He was surprised to find all kinds of jokes, silly sayings and other harmless? nonsense planted there by the programmers. His professor just laughed. I sometimes wonder if they sat about in their offices with so much time and $ on their hands inhaling the fumes from some kind of noxious weed watching looney tunes while writing code, or were they so smart they were bored and really trying to be funny in a secret way. Could it be that some of the higher-ups knew this and took an affront to this when they divested themeselves of some of their employees over a year ago. We shall never know.

XP may have a go back feature, but only W2kPro has a self healing feature. I know, I've used it, and it's a life saver!

So I ask you readers out there, what do you think of this latest development? Hmm?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online