1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W2K / Norton reboot problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Fla_Panther, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fla_Panther

Fla_Panther Thread Starter

Hi guys. I did a quick search and read through the first 2 pages of hits but didn't find anything relating to my problem. If there's a solved thread, please point me to it.

I'm running W2K and when my Norton subscription ran out I decided to get Norton Internet Security 2006. After installing it I noticed that it would act funny any time there was a hardware change. If I shut down my PC and swapped the RAM sticks around, or installed/removed a hard drive, when I went to start up the PC again it would reboot. It'll even do it if I forget and leave a USB cable in without anything attached at the other end. At first I couldn't figure out what was causing it, but I didn't mind much because it would just reboot once and that was that. But over the last few months it's gone from once to 2-4 times on average, and longer on occasion. It was through this process that I realized the reboot happens as Norton is loading.

Well, today I was having some issues with my video acting up - I suspect it's from a failing memory stick - so I opened up the case and removed the offending stick. But when I started it back up it wouldn't stop rebooting. I continued working on my work laptop and it continuously rebooted for about half an hour before I said forget it and booted into safe mode. Unfortunately, I needed to do some printing and of course printing doesn't work in safe mode. So I thought maybe I'd uninstall Norton - it gave me an error saying it couldn't uninstall in safe mode. Very funny, I thought... since Norton is what's keeping me from being ABLE to boot into normal mode.

Anyway, tips/hints/clues/shotgun shells would be appreciated right now.

Thanks,
    ~Steve

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

I wish I could give you a more definitive answer, but I can't.

I had 2 customers machines last year where they "upgraded" to NIS 2006 and after the "upgrade" both machines were stuck in an endless loop of rebooting. The only way I could get rid of NIS 2006 was to wipe the HDD and re-install Windows.

There may be an easier answer, but damn if I could find it.

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

you needed to remove all of nav, files, program files, scheduling, device manager, registry, reboot b4 you install nis or you have conflicts.

the symantec/norton removal tool doesn't work as advertised, stuff has to be removed manually.

4. Fla_Panther

Ok, as a temporary workaround I used msconfig to disable all the startup stuff associated with NAV. That allowed me to at least get into W2K in normal mode. (Yes, I know W2K doesn't come with msconfig - I copied it over on a floppy and saved it in a folder just to have it.)

So now what do I do to get rid of NAV? And once I get rid of it, will reinstalling it help or will it just do the same thing all over again?

~Steve

5. Fla_Panther

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

see post #3.

any av you go with, you need to remove all of nav 1st.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice