w2k restricted user

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kunta_tg

Happy new year!
I am running win 2k pro. This machine is in cyber cafe. I am trying to restrict the user so they pretty much only surf and do no harm. It uses a belking wirless nic. Everything works fine if I am logged on as the administrator. But when I logged on as the restricted user the belking wireless nic is software is disabled. where do I turn this on so that it will work with the restricted user?

Thanks

kunta_tg

I should talk to myself more often! I have alwaysed used belking networking because I seem to have pretty good luck with them. Well this time Belking bit me in the a**!

I bought a Netgear usb wireless adapter. It worked right away with me logged in as administrator and as a restricted user!

bearone2

Banned
how can you be looged in as an administartor and a restricted user at the same time?

you're either the administrator or user with limited capabilities.

i'm not sure you fixed your problem.

my son has his xp home machine setup with him as the administartor and i log in to the guest account.

i can do internet but can't get to msconfig, defrag, add/remove programs, etc.:cool:

kunta_tg

maybe i wasnt clear. I log in as the administrator with the pci wireless card and everything is fine. I then log out and log on as a restricted user, similiar to your guest accout, but the pci wireless doest not work.

The same process does work with the netgear usb wireless connection.

Hope that helps you. thanks for your insight :)

The belkin tech support was no help. I now have two belkin pci wireless cards that are usless. I am very dissapointed. I am thinking to try a netgear pci wirless card.

I have had this issue with a few cards that require the wireless utility to be installed and running as administrator. I usually bypass this by uninstalling the configuration utility and installing XP SP2 with its integrated wireless support this works both as admin or not.

kunta_tg

Remind me to never buy a belkin pci wireless card again.
I talked to belkins tech support. they had my install in safe mode ....to no avail and finally the solution was I can get a call back in the morning from their level three technician. apparantely this device will not work without the belkin software......

stay tuned....

I never listen to tech support.

Here try this -

go into add/remove programs rip out their wireless utility, go into device manager and delete out the wireless device, go to the desktop and delete out any program listing they may have for it.

Check the CD for a "drivers folder" make sure not to use their "setup.exe" to install but instead reboot and let windows ask for a driver. point it to the driver on the CD, then use the windows Wireless Zero Config utility.

If that does not work then they may indeed be right but 99% of the time they will walk you through their utility only. Remember what I am suggesting only works on XP SP2 with WZC enabled.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Staff online

Members online