W2K Security Policy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aushaheed

I am installing applications under administrator and when i log on as a user i cannot access some programs that i installed under administrator -- the program 'memory faults' and i cannot use it...does anyone know what security policy i can audit without making the user a power user?
thanks

Can you give us more details? Such as example of an application and the exact error messages it receives.

Then we will have more to work with.

aushaheed

well i know for sure what apps it is: Corel Wordperfect 8 and Netscape Communicator 4.7 (figures it would be non-microsoft products) but i'm out of the office til jan 3 so i cannot give you the exact errors. But when i join the user to the POWER USERS group they can use the applications perfectly. My Sys Admin will not like them being setup as a POWER USER because of the rights they will have under this group. any ideas on where to change user policy? thanks

Now here is a slightly ghetto fix for this, but one which I have used with success.

I have (on indivdual machines) installed multiple copies of programs, and then given exclusive full control rights to individual users. One user per installation. Of course, in the setting I was in there were only 4 users of the machine so this was possible. I don't know your setup and therefore whether this would be a viable solution.

Others probably have a better solution....that was just my "fix"

Brooks

Have you checked the permissions?

I know from experince that Wordperfect will freak out if the user does not have write permission on the Windows folder and subfolders. It will spit out all sorts of errors at you.

Netscape will also blue screen if the user profile directory can not be written to.

aushaheed

ok this is what happens:
i'm logged in as a user
i click on Netscape Communicator's icon on the desktop
it opens up wanting the user to create a new profile
so i complete the information
the it says (error):
the instruction at "0x77f81b4d" referenced memory at "0x00000034". The memory could not be red. Click OK or CANCEL
then i click ok
that is the netscape problem

the corel wordperfect 8 problem is:
error cannot initialize
and a similiar error about the memory could not be read

any security suggestions?
thanks
the c: drive is able to full control by everyone

Brooks

Well, as long as you have everybody with full permission then it is not that. Just to make sure, I would reset the permissions from the root and propagete them to the child objects.

I can understand about not wanting them in Power User.

Which version of Netscape are you using? If it is 4.7x then you can create the profile from the administrator profile. If it is 6.x then that has to be created by the user.

Looking around, I found that if there is not a default printer installed then Wordperfect 8 will have problems.

I also found this:
According to C_Tech Debra Earle, the following is necessary for wp8 to
work properly under win2000:

1) either give the user Admin privileges, or open up permissions
on HKLM|Software|Corel.

2) don't put directory restrictions on %systemroot% or else give full rights to the *.{PB files to "everyone", if your users don't have Admin rights.
Hope this helps.

aushaheed

ok nevermind that didnt work i'll read your previous reply to see if that helps....can you think of anything else

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online