1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W2K Security Policy

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aushaheed, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aushaheed

aushaheed Guest Thread Starter

I am installing applications under administrator and when i log on as a user i cannot access some programs that i installed under administrator -- the program 'memory faults' and i cannot use it...does anyone know what security policy i can audit without making the user a power user?
    thanks

2. Dan O

Dan O

Can you give us more details? Such as example of an application and the exact error messages it receives.

Then we will have more to work with.

3. aushaheed

well i know for sure what apps it is: Corel Wordperfect 8 and Netscape Communicator 4.7 (figures it would be non-microsoft products) but i'm out of the office til jan 3 so i cannot give you the exact errors. But when i join the user to the POWER USERS group they can use the applications perfectly. My Sys Admin will not like them being setup as a POWER USER because of the rights they will have under this group. any ideas on where to change user policy? thanks

4. Dan O

Dan O

5. TheWendyGuy

TheWendyGuy

Now here is a slightly ghetto fix for this, but one which I have used with success.

I have (on indivdual machines) installed multiple copies of programs, and then given exclusive full control rights to individual users. One user per installation. Of course, in the setting I was in there were only 4 users of the machine so this was possible. I don't know your setup and therefore whether this would be a viable solution.

Others probably have a better solution....that was just my "fix"

6. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Have you checked the permissions?

I know from experince that Wordperfect will freak out if the user does not have write permission on the Windows folder and subfolders. It will spit out all sorts of errors at you.

Netscape will also blue screen if the user profile directory can not be written to.

7. aushaheed

ok this is what happens:
    i'm logged in as a user
    i click on Netscape Communicator's icon on the desktop
    it opens up wanting the user to create a new profile
    so i complete the information
    the it says (error):
    the instruction at "0x77f81b4d" referenced memory at "0x00000034". The memory could not be red. Click OK or CANCEL
    then i click ok
    that is the netscape problem

the corel wordperfect 8 problem is:
    error cannot initialize
    and a similiar error about the memory could not be read

any security suggestions?
    thanks
    the c: drive is able to full control by everyone

8. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Well, as long as you have everybody with full permission then it is not that. Just to make sure, I would reset the permissions from the root and propagete them to the child objects.

I can understand about not wanting them in Power User.

Which version of Netscape are you using? If it is 4.7x then you can create the profile from the administrator profile. If it is 6.x then that has to be created by the user.

Looking around, I found that if there is not a default printer installed then Wordperfect 8 will have problems.

I also found this:
    Hope this helps.

9. aushaheed

ok nevermind that worked..the windows folder thing...thanks man

10. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Your Welcome.

Glad that helped you out.

11. aushaheed

ok nevermind that didnt work i'll read your previous reply to see if that helps....can you think of anything else

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!