1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W2K Server Help (change from domain to workgroup)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tim_chase01, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tim_chase01

tim_chase01 Thread Starter

I have a W2K server that is setup as a Domain Controller with active directory. I want to get rid of the domain and simply join a workgroup and share some folders off of it drive. What is the best way of doing this? do I need to run dcpromo?

thanks,

2. Dan O

Dan O

Dcpromo can be used at any time to either promote, or demote a server from member server to domain controller, and from domain controller back down to member server. But you can change it to a workgroup server by disconnecting it from the LAN and change the settings, without using Dcpromo.

3. tim_chase01

Which settings are you referring to? I have folders that were being shared when under the domain, I want to share these folders in the workgroup; do I have to redo the share as well?

4. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

"But you can change it to a workgroup server by disconnecting it from the LAN and change the settings, without using Dcpromo"

That certainly isn't my understanding. You dcpromo down the last AD DC [or in your case only] and when asked is this the only/last DC and do you want to completely remove AD you say yes.

Then do your workgroup.

Domain shares are not the same as workgroup shares so yes you will need to reshare and establish user rights. Don't forget now you don't have domain users but local users now.

Since you are asking about changing shares I am concerned you don't fully understand the difference/benefits of domain over workgroup for security and network administration.

5. tim_chase01

I am just helping someone else out, I am not an expert in Windows Server system by any means. From my understanding the domain setup is much more complex to setup at the beginning but the main advantage is a centralized administration and better security. For this person, admin can be done at each computer individually, there are only about 10 computers. . The main problem he has now is that most computer take forever at the login screen (I think this is DNS related from what I have read). Therefore I am trying to simplify things by creating a workgroup.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice