1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

w32 dupator virus-how can i remove it?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Pammi1958, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pammi1958

Pammi1958 Thread Starter

On start up I kept getting an error in kernel32 in explorer. I ran mcafee virus scan and it foundw 32 dupator. I could clean all the files but hpsysdrv usbmmkybd and systray. It tried to clean, and couldn't, then tried to delete, but couldn't. I tried to replace files but of course Windows would not allow that. I went to "mcafee help" (is that an oxy-moron?) They told me to diable system restore. I did. Scanned again and still the same thing. I think its clean and when I reboot and scan again it finds all the infected files all over again. I went to mcafee again and they told me how to scan in DOS mode. There were still folders it couldn't open, and the virus is still there. Anyone have any ideas? My virus dat files and engine is up to date. I have Mcafee 7.01.6000.
    Thanks

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. Pammi1958

Pammi1958 Thread Starter

I tried to extract and replace files, ran scan in dos mode. it said it cleaned the virus, but there were IE files it couldn't open. I rebooted and the virus was still there.
    Boy do I HATE Mcafee. Their resolution is to uninstall/reinstall. How creative. Thats probably the first thing listed in their generic data base.
    :mad:

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You say, you tried to extract and replace files; was this done successfully with kernel32.dll and systray.exe? If not where did you encounter a problem? Always note exact error messages when possible. You may need to replace kernel32.dll using a WinME boot disk to access the DOS extract command.

On rebooting you say the virus is still there? Where? What is the name of the infected file(s) and the full path to it?

Are the keyboard drivers still being listed as "infected"?

Can we see a post of startups using the Startuplist application from the site below, just download, unzip and run it -- then copy/paste the results to a reply.

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

The virus scan not being able to open certain IE files is not necessarily a problem.

5. Pammi1958

Pammi1958 Thread Starter

By the time i was done uninstalling mcafee, i could not even start windows, so i put in the restore disk and tried to restore factory system files. when it was finished i rebooted and i got a error message saying it could not load kernel 32, reinstall windows. So, i opted for the last ditch effort and restore and format. So, i hope that wiped out the evil files. But now I have to uninstall mcafee v shield 4.0. wee.
    I had win 98 on that pc and upgraded to win me. i am in the prcess of doing that now. i hope this cures it.
    i know too much and not enough
    this get me in trouble!
    Pam

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you did a restore with format, then you completely wiped all files off the system, McAfee would only be there if it came with the original installation. Anyway good luck on the restoration, and yes I would get rid of any original McAfee programs too.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice