1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W32 Sality virus/malware on a Mac? Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by pcvchriskmg, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcvchriskmg

pcvchriskmg Thread Starter

My boss had a w32 Sality virus/malware on his USB drive that he has used for a long time with a Dell laptop running 32 bit Vista. He has recently purchased a new Macbook with Mac OS X 10.6. He says his computer has started crashing (no additional information) and he is worried there is a link between the w32 Sality and the crashing of his Macbook. We just found this w32 Sality the other day when I plugged his key into my W7 machine and McAfee identified it.

I googled w32 Sality and from what I've read, it seems to be specific to computers running MS Windows OS. I read about how this particular malware/virus makes changes to the Windows registry, among other things.

Therefore, the w32 Sality could not have affected his Macbook, right? Am I way off-base here?

Secondly, he asked me what a virus, in general, "attacks" and he seems to think it attacks the OS of a machine. From my limited online reading, it sounds like virus can attach themselves to all different sorts of files and can "attack" or have an effect on any number of programs or entities that are on a machine. So my question is, why are Windows based machines more susceptible than Mac and Linux systems? Why do viruses have more oppertunities to infiltrate a Windows machine vs. a Mac or a machine running Linux? I read there are millions of viruses for Windows platforms but only a handful (maybe an exagerration) for Linux OS.

Sorry for the two part question!

Thanks! and I apologize for interchanging the words "virus" and "malware" throughout this post. I don't pretend to be an expert.

Chris

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice