1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[email protected] Help Needed

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by byanoseau, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. byanoseau

byanoseau Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I use Eudora for email and when I check mail Norton detects the [email protected] virus and posts the following messages.

The 1st alert says Unable to repair file.
    The 2nd alert says Access to file denied.

The problem is that Eudora disconnects from the mail server and doesn't download the waiting email messages. When I click check mail it opens the server and goes through the same routine again without downloading the mail. I've run the fix from Norton for this virus and it says I don't have the virus on the computer.

Can someone please tell me how I can correct this problem and download mail.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

John

2. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Chances are that it is not YOU that has the sobig virus/worm, but someone that has your email address in their address book.

The way that sobig and many other email virii work is to 'spoof' a return address from one that is found in the infected PC. The mail gets sent out with YOUR address as the return address and not the real sender's address. This is a tactic used to prevent back tracking to find the TRUE infected PC

When the email is detected as having a virus, the ISP returns the email to the "Return address", which in this case, is not the REAL senders address, but one falsified from the senders address book.

So you can be totally CLEAN and still get these 'bounce back' reports. The good news is, it's all supposed to come to an end on Sept 10th, so grit your teeth and hang in there.

If you want us to take a more in depth look for any problems, please go to http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download HiJackThis. Use Winzip to ]u]unzip[/u] it, then install and run it. To run, click the “Scan” button. When it's done the "Scan" button changes to "Save Log". Save the log file it creates (it should open in Notepad at that point). Copy and paste the results in your next post. IF you happen to be using a proxy server, please mention it in your post. Most of what it finds is harmless, so do not do anything yet. Someone will be glad to help you sort out any of the baddies that may be in there.

3. byanoseau

byanoseau Thread Starter

Hi Nitehawk,

Thanks for the reply. Could you please tell me why it is that I can't continue to download email? I, like most others, have had the experience of getting virus messages in the past but the virus program, in my case Norton, has simply deleted the infected file and continued on with downloading the rest of the mail. Is this particular virus in some way different from the rest and that a fix is currently being developed to counteract this?

Thanks again for your help Nitehawk.

Regards,

John

4. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

I’ve been extremely lucky and only received one or two of the ‘bounce back’ emails as a result of Sobig. I guess most of my friends keep a ‘clean and tidy ship’ also. Gee, sometimes they even listen to me. I’ve also gotten my SPAM email down from 4400 to 4500 per month a year ago, to about 90 a month. Without using any third party SPAM filtering software, I might add. :D :D But that's another story.

I use Outlook for my email accounts and Haven’t had the problem of it stopping the downloading of email. I’m going to have to plead ignorance on this one. You might try asking in the Email forum.

5. byanoseau

byanoseau Thread Starter

Thanks Nitehawk.

Regards,

John

6. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

7. aineo

aineo

If I am not mistaken, you will not have to worry about SoBig.F after today anyway since it expires on the 10th.

8. wedor

wedor

But... it is likely that the writer of SoBig will release a new version shortly after the 10th...

9. aineo

aineo

Very true, and then SoBig.F will likely be the least of our worries.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice