1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DDALE32

DDALE32 Thread Starter

I have received almost *200* e-mails today and 3 were actually for me. Norton hopped up and snagged 46 that it said had the virus [email protected] My Norton Anti-virus definitions are up to date ... I get them almost daily ... and when I ran scan on the computer it found no problems. I then went to Trend Micro and did an online scan and still no problem. Of the 200 e-mails about 1/2 were from "Microsoft" sending me a patch which I did NOT open. The other 1/2 were from qmail, and a bunch of others saying that my mail was undeliverable ... many of them had attachments.

HOW DO I GET RID OF WHAT EVER IT IS THAT KEEPS GETTING ME A BUNCH OF E-MAIL???

:mad:

Thanks in advance for all the great help.

dd

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You can't stop getting the e-mails unless you want to place your e-mail filter on "exclusive" -- meaning block everything that is not in your Address book. I've long since done this at Hotmail.

And using Yahoo (I only use online e-mail), I've only gotten one suspicious file that I know of (they have much better default filtering).

Just be glad you haven't gotten infected; it's a hassle to repair.

3. Topkat

Topkat

@ Rollin' Rog; is it a case therefore of deleting the offending mails until the person whose pc is infected, and has your name in their address book, figures how to fix the virus?

4. DDALE32

DDALE32 Thread Starter

I use Outlook Express. I have clicked on BLOCK SENDER but, of course, every e-mail has a different "sender". Also I have set up several message rules with subject, names of senders, words in the messages, etc. And many are caught and sent right to the delete file. But they are still coming.

I also have AOL 9.0. There I only received a couple but then I set it so that I will only accept mail from those in my address book and buddy list and that stopped them.

The torrent of mail has not ceased in Outlook Express but only some are being caught and deleted and Norton is popping up often telling me a new one has been snagged and quarantined.

Do I have the virus and Trend and Norton just can't find it? What must i do to stop RECEIVING all this crud?

Thanks for the quick reply.

dd

5. DDALE32

DDALE32 Thread Starter

TOPKAT: I didn't see your comment until I had already sent my reply above. That is my question too. OR CAN I JUST GO TO MY ISP and change my e-mail address and let the present one die?

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That's about all you can do as far as I know; I'm not sure if you can tell who they are really coming from, since they "appear" to be coming from Microsoft or masquerading as undelivered mail.

Personally I've gotten just one of those phoney failed mail delivery messages at Yahoo, before I'd even heard of the worm. But I suspected it was phoney and just deleted it right off.

And yes if these are going to your ISP, it should be a fairly easy matter to just change your User Name there -- at least it is with Earthlink, whose e-mail I rarely use anyway.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice