1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W3C Validation... SO CLOSE!!!

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by The Infinity, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The Infinity

The Infinity Thread Starter

I have been working on my website trying to make it W3C Valid but I have stuck with only 2 errors left. I have tried just about everything and I'm kinda stuck. I have 2 floating <td>'s but I'm not sure where to properly close them off. I feel I may have a table error thats causing it. I also have CSS controlling everything but I'm not sure if that could be causing it.

Here is the errors:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline

Code:
    # Error  Line 171 column 19: document type does not allow element "td" here.

<td class="maincol">

The element named above was found in a context where it is not allowed. This could mean that you have incorrectly nested elements -- such as a "style" element in the "body" section instead of inside "head" -- or two elements that overlap (which is not allowed).

One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in HTML documents. Due to HTML's rules of implicitly closed elements, this error can create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML's "self-closing" tags for "meta" and "link" in the "head" section of a HTML document may cause the parser to infer the end of the "head" section and the beginning of the "body" section (where "link" and "meta" are not allowed; hence the reported error).

# Error Line 393 column 3: document type does not allow element "td" here.

<td>
    Here is the link to my website: http://www.softhardware.net/

I would have posted the source here but TSG said it was too long. :)

2. namenotfound

namenotfound

Well I just quickly skimmed thru your page source and couldn't find a closing </td> tag before the new <td class="maincol"> tag was open.

3. The Infinity

Yeah if I try to close it off my webpage goes crazy. If I try to put it into a table it wacks out even more. I'm not sure what I can do about it :/

4. Big-K

Big-K

apparently its fine now

5. MMJ

MMJ Guest

6. The Infinity

Yeah I was able to get it thanks to good ole brendandonhu. The problem was the two <td> tags I had needed to be closed infront of one another. Here is an example.

What I had:
    Code:
    <td>

more code here

<td>

What fixed it:
    Code:
    </td>
    <td>

more code here

</td>
    <td>

7. knight_47

knight_47

brendandonhu's the man when it comes to coding, i love em!

8. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Some people have a knack for that. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice