1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W7 64bit over W7 32bit?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TRS-80 vet, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed Thread Starter

If I do this, will it over-write my 'stuff' (installed programs, personal data)? I don't really have much stuff yet - the 32bit is a new install; but my major concern is MS Word - will it work in a 64bit environment?

2. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

MS Word (except maybe *really* old versions) will work in 64-bit, but AFAIK you can't 'upgrade' from 32-bit to 64-bit so you will lose all your stuff.

3. w7pro

w7pro

Your version of Word will dictate whether it'll run on 64-bit Windows 7, however, you can always check the Compatibility Center: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Whenever you are upgrading (even to a 64 bit in this case), it's always a good idea to backup your data anyway, just to make sure that you don't lose anything. MS also has this helpful FAQ about 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7 that may be of some use: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows-frequently-asked-questions

-- Ryan
    Windows Outreach Team

4. Hughv

Hughv

Word will work in x64 if it works in x32.
    Upgrading to a 64 bit OS requires a clean install, so backup your data first.

5. Brucew0619

Brucew0619

Microsoft Office 2010 released 64 bit, you can go to use it.

6. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

If you are looking to install Windows 7 64-bit over your 32-bit installation - It isn't possible. A fresh install is the only way to go about.

As for Microsoft Word (or MS Office in general), It is advisable to use the 32-bit version since some add-ins are not yet 64-bit compatible. Office 2003 and later should work without any issues.

Hope this helps! :)

7. bigk

bigk

Back up your data first.

Look at all your hardware components and see if there's drivers for your stuff in x64 format. For example, monitor, printer, scanner etc.

Microsoft is really pushing x64 drivers now a days so a lot of the manufactures should be caught up by now.

8. NotRite

NotRite

Would like to point out that if you make the move to the 64 bit...you will be done with the 32 bit version. I don't think it will allow you to revert back if for some reason you wanted to.

9. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

You can only upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit with a full install, i.e., wipe and reload. Regardless of which version of the O/S you are using, use the 32-bit version of Office. There is no real reason to use the 64-bit version (Microsoft doesn't even recommend it) and some add-ons that you normally use will not work with the 64-bit version of Office.

10. bigk

bigk

I would disagree, Microsoft appears to be pushing 64 bit on pc manufactures.

11. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

Microsoft is definitely pushing PC Manufacturers to create 64-bit compatible hardware, but in my knowledge they've recommended that users use the 32-bit version of OFFICE 2010. They've said nothing like that for Windows 7, though.

12. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Are you talking Office or Windows? Either way I think you're wrong. For Windows at least you revert the same way you converted originally-you back up your data, reformat, and reinstall. For Office there's the obvious issue that you can create documents in 64-bit that are too large to load into 32-bit, but other than that (and similar issues) it seems to me that if you uninstall the current version then you should be able to reinstall whatever version you want. I know for a fact that it works that way when 'reverting' to an older version, like installing Office XP on a PC that currently has Office 2007 on it. (Why? Don't ask. It wasn't something I did all that willingly, but the customer's the boss.)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice