1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W7 clean install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ingeborgdot, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot Thread Starter

I bought an upgrade to Vista Home Premium and am going to install W7 Pro. When I do it through the os side it won't let me delete the OEM partition. Do I need to do the clean install the normal way then?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to boot from the Windows 7 DVD and then it will allow you to delete the existing partition.

3. ingeborgdot

Yeah, I did this but I installed the 32 bit which is more compatible for what I am using the laptop for. I like 64 bit myself but for what the laptop is being used for 32 bit is what I chose. The problem is when I go into Dell's site they have my drivers for Vista 32, 64 and W7 64 bit but not for 32 bit which is what I need. What the heck gives there? I don't know what the heck to do.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your post lost me. Not sure what you are answering since there was never a mention of 32 or 64 bit up until now.

So you have installed Windows 7 now? Why can't you use 64 bit? Most modern software will work on 64 bit O/S. It might also help to mention what laptop you have.

5. Bernardo

Bernardo

Usually the Vista 32 drivers will work with 7...."usually" ;)

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Windows Update also has a lot of drivers available.

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

What model Dell is it?

8. ingeborgdot

Sorry, I did go ahead and try W7 in 32 bit. Did not mean to confuse.

You are right about MOST modern software does work with 64 bit. In my case it is a usb device. It is an MSC-400 by URC. It is used for remote controls and makes them more powerful with things it can do. Look it up if you want to see what I am talking about. It does not work with a 64bit OS which sucks.

I bought a Dell Studio 1737 laptop.

I am really a little confused right now. I don't know what to do because when I installed the 32 bit W7 I started having a little problem with my screen. The screen would occasionally start getting jagged lines on pictures and things. I would click and then it would go away. I wonder what I did wrong?

Also, I do have a question about an upgrade compared to a full version. Does an upgrade have less things in it? I know this is minor but when I went to games there were no games there. Is that right? Or does W7 Pro not have any games?

9. Bernardo

Bernardo

Do you mean Windows 7 Ultimate? IF so, yes, there are games. Did you use a genuine MS install cd????

10. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

No.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Upgrade and Full version install all the same things, no difference in the end result product.

You can also try the Windows 7 64 bit drivers, sometimes the package also includes the 32 bit driver versions as well. And as mentioned the Vista 32 bit driers may work for 7 as well, they are nearly the same O/S and drivers for Vista will generally work work with 7.

Which graphics card does your laptop have? Ati or Intel?

12. ingeborgdot

It better be genuine. It has all the holographic stuff, a product key, the plastic case you get from MS. How can I tell?

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  14. ingeborgdot

It is legit copy. I found out why the games don't show up. I need to go into the control panel and turn them on. Not a hard fix.

As for my graphics it is intel based. I do not know for sure which one though.

This is the exact computer.

dell studio 1737-154p graphics card

15. Bernardo

Bernardo

Go to the Dell website, key in your tag number (on the side of the computer) and it will ID your system and the drivers that came preinstalled.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice