1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W7 HDD and partition configuration

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lucknow, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lucknow

lucknow Thread Starter

I posted a few days back on a W7 repair/re-install problem. Sorry for new thread but though this is related I didn’t want to just bump that thread as this is a different query.
    1) Unable to repair or re-install Windows 7 from the W7 disk, I’ve decided to delete existing partitions using an XP Home installation disc, quit the XP install, and then try again with a totally clean install of W7.

I put the XP disk in to have a look at the partitions before deleting them, but found the partition screen was confusing.
    My query is as follows:

2)There are 2 HDDs in the PC. When I got the PC, it had one Seagate HDD - W7 appeared in Windows on the C: drive and I placed applications there. Immediately afterwards I added a 2nd Hitachi HDD to hold data only, creating a single volume on it called G: data drive. This all seemed to be working fine until this current problem.

3) So, I thought I would see a C: ‘system’ partition, or maybe a 100MB ‘system reserve’ C: and another lettered part of that partition, and the G: partition/volume for data files (on the second HDD). However, what I saw on the partition screen via the XP installation disk was this:

476938 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

D: Partition1 (System Rese) [NTFS] 100 MB ( 75 MB free)
    E: Partition2 [NTFS] 476838 MB ( 419213 MB free)

476938 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    C: Partition1 (data drive) [NTFS] 476937 MB ( 383546 MB free)

4) In the CMOS Features screen in the BIOS setup, the HDDs were configured like this (extract):

IDE Channel 0 Master [None]
    IDE Channel 0 Slave [None]
    IDE Channel 1 Master [Hitachi HDP725050GLA]
    IDE Channel 1 Slave [None]
    IDE Channel 2 Master [None]
    IDE Channel 3 Master [None]
    IDE Channel 4 Master [ST3500413AS]
    IDE Channel 4 Slave [None]
    IDE Channel 5 Master [Optiarc DVD RW AD-72]

The Hitachi HDD at channel 1 is the 2nd HDD, added by me after delivery to hold data files only, so I expected to see it below the Seagate HDD on this list.

5) Also, the Hitachi HDD was top of the Hard Disk Priority list on the BIOS Advanced screen. Again I would have expected to see the Seagate above the Hitachi in that list.

Question 1 – I’d be grateful for any advice/explanation as to what I’m looking at in the partition screen ((3) above) and how it relates to the HDD configuration.

Question 2 – are the HDDs wrongly configured? Maybe I did something wrong putting the 2nd HDD in.
    Any advice gratefully received and sorry for the length of this post.

Thanks in advance.

PC details: - motherboard is Gigabyte P67A-UD7, CPU is Intel 2600k, 8GB of RAM. Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 (OEM). The affected PC hasn't at any time been connected to the internet.

2. Rockn

Rockn

The configurations are fine. The original drive was most likely set up that way by the manufacturer with partition 1 set up as a utility partition, partition 2 is the recovery partition and partition 3 is you system partition for the OS.

3. lucknow

lucknow Thread Starter

Thanks for this it's a relief to know the configuration is OK which is the main thing but I'm afraid I'm really dumb - I don't see a partition 3 on that list, just two parts of partition 1 and partition 2.

Also, you say partition 1 is a utility partition but there are 2 partitions listed as partition 1 - do you mean the 100MB one?

If so, I assume you mean the other partition 1 labelled 'C: data drive' in the list is for the OS. If it is, and partition 2 is the recovery partition (though isn't it a bit large for that?), where is the volume I created for data on the 2nd HDD (my G: drive in Windows)?

Sorry to be a pain but I'm still confused by this.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's almost impossible to figure out what the real (partitions) story is with output from Windows. :( I read it as "D" is the small Master Boot Record partition, "E" is the Windows 7 installation and "C" is the only partition on your additional drive. Each drive is "500 GB"?

Wouldn't hurt to disconnect the data drive to make sure you (and Windows) can't possibly harm it during this surgery. :)

Something like the free and bootable GParted will give you more pleasure and confidence when playing with partitions. Also good to name the partitions so that you needn't rely on size to determine what is what.

5. lucknow

lucknow Thread Starter

Many thanks, the fog is gradually lifting. As suggested, I'll disconnect the 2nd drive to clarify things and keep it out of the way and check out the partitioning software.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Here's another option (actually GParted is one of the partitioning programs here, too. It just adds a lot more tools and functions.):

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

7. lucknow

lucknow Thread Starter

Thanks that really looks like something I need to investigate. If it does half of those things I'll be happy. Cheers.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice