1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W7 RTM over-wrote XP loader?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TRS-80 vet, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed Thread Starter

I have 3x boot:
    Windows (XP) on partition 1
    Linux swap space on partition 2
    Linux on partition 3
    W7 new install on partition 4

After installing, I restored GRUB correctly.

Before I installed W7, I could choose Windows from GRUB boot menu, and XP booted. SINCE I installed W7, GRUB still does the loading like it should, with a twist...

If I NOW choose Windows from GRUB boot menu, I don't get XP, but I get a WINDOWS loader, with W& or XP to choose from. Both choices load properly.

So here's the problem... If I like W7, and activate it, what will happen if I wipe the XP partition? Will I be able to 'Repair W7 loader', with W7 on partition 4?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice