1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

w7 shuts down and won't re-start

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bobbern, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobbern

bobbern Thread Starter

w7 has, in the past week, shut down and won't re-start ... this was my original problem ... shop blamed the mb ... I replaced it with an Intel DP55KG Extreme Series (P55 ATX Core i7 Core i5 LGA1156)

after mb replacement, system worked great for 2 days ... went to start this am, would start to boot for about 5 secs, then shut down, several times ... same symptoms as original problem

I got it working for about 30 mins, then it completely shut down on its own, but properly, with the correct screens, as if I intentionally shut it down (I did not) ... it would not reboot

new mb, nvidia 660 ti card, i7 processor, pu ok, plenty of fans, not over-heating, hard drive ok ... at least per my shop tech

help !! ... I have no idea, other than maybe the power unit underpowered ? ... a short somewhere ? ... over heating ?? ... not sure it's a w7 problem either ... sorry if this is wrong forum, please move if needed

thanks for any help

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    was that the same as the original board
    did you re-install windows 7 and the chipset drivers

also what version of windows , is this a retail copy or OEM copy - if OEM , the key is tied to the original motherboard - and so you may need to purchase W7 again

It could be any of those issues really

I would take out the motherboard , PSU etc and try and see if it works out of the case with the minimum number of things connected
    that would rule out a case short

also run on just one card of ram if you can

3. bobbern

bobbern Thread Starter

the original board was an Asus Maximus iii Gene ... an old discontinued 1156 socket board ... I did find just 1, at a price of $350 ... I found the Intel P55 board, also 1156 socket cheaper at $200

I think the w7 product key must be in the registry as it fired right up, no issues with w7, or so my tech said

I bought the computer used, no w7 cd, and I didn't think to ask if it was a retail version ... the seller built the system himself so I assumed he had a legit copy of w7

originally, they system shut down when warm and would not re-boot ... I can't expalin why it wouldn't start after sitting for 12 hours ... could it be a capacitor problem, a dying pu would be the cheapest fix, I'm hoping

I will try your suggestions ... thanks for the reply

4. bobbern

bobbern Thread Starter

update on the testing that was done today ... it did not boot in the shop, after sitting for over 12 hours

1) removed mb from case ... it did not boot ... short to case eliminated

2) installed brand new, out of the box, power unit ... system did not boot ... pu eliminated

3) have 4 sticks of 2gb ram ... tried 2 sticks ... it did boot ... tried other 2 sticks ... did not boot ... went back to first 2 sticks, this time it did not boot ... would not boot with all 4 sticks ... installed 1 brand new, out of the pkg 4gb stick, it did not boot ... mem problem eliminated

4) whatever testing equip this shop has to test hd, they say the hd is ok ... I'm not so sure ... I use an external hd ... if I have w7 on that drive, I should be able to unplug C drive and it should boot to my external D drive ... I think ... that should eliminate or confirm a bad hd, yes ?

the shop now says it is probably my processor, a 4 yr old I7 860 1156 socket ... this shop misdiagnosed the problem once and really didn't do enough comprehensive testing until I stood over their shoulder today ... I'm not sure I believe them and I'll never go back, they cost me a new mb which apparently is not the problem

any other suggestions appreciated

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you dont really need the hdd yet
    as you can tell if its posting OK
    and you can get into the bios OK
    then at least you know some of the components are working

so will it actually post - usually just 1 beep to say it past all tests
    is it bleeping an error at all

and can you see on the screen the option to enter the bios ?

6. bobbern

bobbern Thread Starter

I cannot get it to boot again, can't get to bios, safe mode or anything else ... shop told me it must be processor ... after all other hardware was apparently eliminated, what are the odds the 4 year old i7 860 processor is the problem ?

seems to me the only way to test is to buy a processor ... found a few sellers that will take a return, reasonable price ... I've never bought non-new hardware so it's a risk, if this isn't the prob ... not sure what else to do ???

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    all electronics fail - so it could easily be the processor

when you change the processor - you also need to make sure thermal paste is used on the CPU and heatsink

why not take it up with the shop - if they repaired it ?
    New motherboard - Worked for 2 days
    its possible the motherboard has gone faulty - as it worked with the processor

again electronics can fail quite quickly - called a bathtube curve
    you usually get a lot of failures when first used on within a few days and then at the endof the life after xyears

8. bobbern

bobbern Thread Starter

the defining thing to consider is that system works/fails intermittently ... pu, hd, mb, memory are all things that either work or don't "I think" ... would the processor fail gradually as I've described ?

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Electronics can have intermittent faults - usually the hardest to find

Memory for example can be faulty - but if the PC does not use that bit normally as its high in the range - then it can only fail under certain software

heat plays a big factor

One trick in my electronics days - years ago - was to use a hairdryer on a circuit board to heat up and freezer to cool down - often for faults in HIFI electronics - which I used to fix before moving onto Computers - days when they filled office floors :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice