1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W7 won't load - how to reinstall/repair

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lucknow, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lucknow

lucknow Thread Starter

Hi all - I'm not the most expert of users I'm afraid so please bear with me, but I wonder if anyone can help.
    I installed some software yesterday on my other PC and it seemed to cause some problems with another application so I uninstalled it via Remove Programs. On restart Windows 7 (Home Premium 64 bit) failed to start and all I got was a BSOD with the main error PFN_LIST_CORRUPT.
    After unsuccessfully trying to start in Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration I thought I'd try to repair the W7 installation using the W7 disc. (BTW - I don't know of any other options in W7 but would be grateful for any advice on that.)
    After powering up I pressed F12 to get a menu up and selected the option 'Boot from CDROM'. It seemed to be doing this and I got the message 'Windows is Loading Files'. I expected at that stage to be presented with an 'install or repair W7' option screen from the disc, like in XP. However, all that happened is that the OS proceeded to try and load, unsuccessfully, and went back to the BSOD. How do I get the disc to try and repair the install, or, if it comes to it, reinstall W7? I can't see those options. Do I need to amend the BIOS or something? Any advice much appreciated, thanks in advance.
    (In the meantime I have put the disc in and chosen to run the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool (extended option) in the hope of finding the problem. This has been stuck at 21% for about an hour.)
    PS - I don't know which details are relevant but motherboard on that PC is Gigabyte P67A-UD7, processor is Intel 2600k, with 8GB of RAM. It is not connected to the internet.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Welcome to the TSG Forum.
    The first thing I'd try .. Is run my W7 Repair CD.
    If you have, or can find, a functional computer with any version of W7 64 on it .. Have it make you a Repair CD

Some versions of W7 Install DVDs (OEMS) cannot perform a repair install.

3. lucknow

lucknow Thread Starter

Thanks, appreciate the advice and the link. I didn't know that some discs didn't allow repair and yes it is an OEM disc so maybe that's why. However, it should surely allow a fresh installation or it would be pointless having a disc(?).

My plan was that if the repair didn't work I'd just reinstall W7 from the disc and load up all my software again but that doesn't seem to be presented as an option, like it is in XP. If I choose 'boot from CDROM' after pressing F12 it just seems to try and start Windows up (which is failing). Should I be looking for another option - may be the BIOS needs changing?

I don't know anyone local with W7 to make a repair disc but maybe I can get one sent to me. The annoying thing is I read an article on making just such a disc the other day and didn't get round to it - I thought I could run repair or reinstall from the W7 disc. Thanks again.

4. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    The OEMs I've dealt with will only preform a wipe and reinstall .. No Repair.
    Got a retailer nearby that has demo computers ??? .... I'd take a CD and use one of their Demos.

Not sure about W7 .. But I've seen a situation where the OEM OS wouldn't install because it saw a foreign system on the HDD.
    Had to erase the HDD .. Then all was OK.

It's a shame that M$ will not provide a Download .. And that their rules make it Illegal for anyone else to do it ... Legally

5. lucknow

lucknow Thread Starter

Thanks again but wipe and reinstall is an option I might well choose if I knew how to get to that option on the disc - that's my main problem, I can't find that option, all the disc does is try to start Windows. Wipe and reinstall would be good, but where do I get to it? Thanks.

6. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    Are you sure the computer is trying to boot from the recovery DVDs and not the HDD ???

7. lucknow

lucknow Thread Starter

I'm pretty certain - I pressed F12 on power up and a menu came up asking where to boot from - I chose CDROM and it then went to Load Operating System then boot from CD or DVD. I could hear the drive whirring - it then loaded files for a minute or two and the Windows logo came up but then went after a few seconds to blue screen and error message.

To make sure I went in to the BIOS setup and put boot from CDROM first and Hard Disk second - same thing happened. Finally, I went back to the BIOS and disabled Quick Boot (a feature of this motherboard I think - which toggles between enabled and disabled). Still the same - Windows Loads Files, Windows logo appears, then blue screen.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice