1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W8.1 - Local User Account

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Tabvla, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

I want to setup a Local User Account with Administrator priveledges on a laptop that currently has a single login via a Microsoft Outlook.com User Account, which I want to keep active.

I had assumed that this would be as simple a process as it was on XP, Vista and W7. However, I first consulted a number of other techical websites and have been rather confused by the large number of reported "issues" that users seem to have when setting up a Local Account.

Surely W8.1 permits multiple Users on the same machine and surely it is up to the owner of that machine as to whether they want a Local Account with Admin rights?

So why all the reported "problems" that Users are having when doing something which should be very simple.

Some of the reported problems are: -

- After setting up the Local Account the user could not login to the Microsoft Account
    - User files in the Microsoft Account "disappear" after creating Local Account
    - Microsoft services such as Outlook.com and SkyDrive stop working in all accounts after creating a Local Account
    - Programs won't run under the Local Account unless the User activates "Run as Administrator"
    - Profile of Microsoft Account corrupt after creating Local Account
    - Locked out of Admin rights on both the Microsoft and the Local accounts

I would really appreciate some clarity over whether or not there are "issues" associated with creating a Local Account in W8.1

TiA

T.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I just created a Local Account to try it out and encountered no problems as you described. But, I am running 8.1. Probably MS fixed a few things in this new release.

3. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Thanks LunarLander for your test.

The reports of "problems" are too numerous to be just some non-techy doiing or not doing somethng. And the problems seem to be typical of something screwed-up in the OS. Perhaps somewhere in the code dealing with "permissions" or "profiles" or "login validation".... there is a bug which on certain configurations results in the reported problems.

I am going to setup a Local Account today and will post back to this thread when I have done that.

T.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1117859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice