Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

W8.1 - Local User Account

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Tabvla 
#1 ·
I want to setup a Local User Account with Administrator priveledges on a laptop that currently has a single login via a Microsoft Outlook.com User Account, which I want to keep active.

I had assumed that this would be as simple a process as it was on XP, Vista and W7. However, I first consulted a number of other techical websites and have been rather confused by the large number of reported "issues" that users seem to have when setting up a Local Account.

Surely W8.1 permits multiple Users on the same machine and surely it is up to the owner of that machine as to whether they want a Local Account with Admin rights?

So why all the reported "problems" that Users are having when doing something which should be very simple.

Some of the reported problems are: -

- After setting up the Local Account the user could not login to the Microsoft Account
- User files in the Microsoft Account "disappear" after creating Local Account
- Microsoft services such as Outlook.com and SkyDrive stop working in all accounts after creating a Local Account
- Programs won't run under the Local Account unless the User activates "Run as Administrator"
- Profile of Microsoft Account corrupt after creating Local Account
- Locked out of Admin rights on both the Microsoft and the Local accounts

I would really appreciate some clarity over whether or not there are "issues" associated with creating a Local Account in W8.1

TiA

T.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks LunarLander for your test.

The reports of "problems" are too numerous to be just some non-techy doiing or not doing somethng. And the problems seem to be typical of something screwed-up in the OS. Perhaps somewhere in the code dealing with "permissions" or "profiles" or "login validation".... there is a bug which on certain configurations results in the reported problems.

I am going to setup a Local Account today and will post back to this thread when I have done that.

T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.