1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W8 Microsoft account

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by chartwise, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chartwise

chartwise Thread Starter

In Windows 8 I understand it is better to login using a Microsoft Account.

Do I have to have a HOTMAIL account or can I use my own email address?
    Also do I have to get a Microsoft Account before getting Windows 8 or can I get it when I first get Windows 8 as part of the setup?

If i have to get it before, where do I get it from?

All help much appreciated

2. golddust

golddust

Get your Microsoft account from www.outlook.com (the new name for Hotmail). The email account name will be [email protected] (Hotmail and Live.com accounts are no longer available but will work if you already have one).

If you set up before getting your Microsoft account, set up as a Local Account, get your Outlook.com account, then go into Settings (Setting Charm), PC Settings, Users, Switch to a Microsoft Account.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Better why? Better for whom?

4. chartwise

chartwise Thread Starter

So this means that I cannot use my current email account (which is a non-Microsoft account) is that correct?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!