1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

w98 client lost network access

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chrisbl, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisbl

chrisbl Thread Starter

W98 client on nt server lan has lost it's network connection, thought I'd check network settings etc. but..... the client pc's are set up for pupils and have certain things not available ie control panel, obviusly it's retaining it's system policy settings how do I disable these to investigate whats wrong with the network connection?

2. calabash

calabash

3 ways:

1) locate the user that has Admin privileges, login under that user and modify/check your settings. Win98's network settings (not mapped drives) are constant irregardless of login.

1) registry key edits in a .reg file and then merge

2) a "work" policy. This actually works in conjunction with #1. You create your super-user and then open your policy file and add that user. Then go through the user's options and clear out the boxes of the restrictions you do not want to apply.

Remember with policies the default is applied first and then a users. So if you have "No Network Neighborhood" checked in the default you must manually clear that box for the user to see Net. Neighborhood on the desktop.

3. chrisbl

chrisbl Thread Starter

I'll try that not inuntil monday now, however it now shows an oe error and blue screen at start up! Wondering if I should just clone a disc from another (identical) PC.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice