1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

w98 network TCP/IP not starting

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mooncalf, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooncalf

mooncalf Thread Starter

We have a network with a Netgear ADSL router/hub and several computers attached OK. We have a several-year-old PC which is not yet attached, but which we are trying to attach. The PC is running Windows 98 original edition. We got a Belkin Ethernet card (PCI) and installed it OK. Drivers look OK, config utility looks OK, no apparent problems there.

The problem is that the network just doesn't seem ever to start. So, for example, if I run "winipcfg", the only entry in the drop-list is "PPP Adapter": the Ethernet connection doesn't show. Likewise, no icon appears in the tray for a connection. "ping" produces "destination network unreachable". etc etc.

The network configuration dialog seems to have all the right bits in it: the Belkin adapter shows up, along with an infra-red thing and a dial-up adapter for the modem; TCP/IP shows up for the Belkin adapter and the dial-up adapter, while a fast infra-red protocol shows up for the infra-red thing. Windows family logon is there. I've removed and re-added the TCP/IP protocol to see if that would help.

The computer has got Norton AntiVirus and Symantec Desktop Firewall installed. The router/hub is NOT configured to restrict access based on MAC address or anything else.

Any suggestions? (other than "throw the damn thing away" -- connecting this PC to the network is intended as a first step to retiring it off permanently!)

2. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

You have your 98cd right?
    Open network config. Remove everything except the dialup adapter. Close net config. do not reboot. Open addremove programs. Click tab for installed windows components. Remove check for communications. Close addremvoe programs. Do not reboot. Open add remove programs, goto windows components tab. Double click on communications, put a check in for dialup networking, hyperterm... Close addremove programs. Open network config, make sure tcpip is installed for your nic. If no, add it.
    reboot

This should force reload on tcpip and network stack.

Also, you shouldn't really need a personal firewall on this machine. The one in your netgear should be about equivelant. And I've seen norton firewall interfere with some network connections....

3. mooncalf

mooncalf Thread Starter

Thanks. I did all this: no difference at first. However, during the re-add of the network components there were a couple of "the file your replacing is older than the one currently in use, do you want to keep the newer version" to which I replied "yes". So, since it was still as broken as before, I ran through this whole procedure again and this time said "no, don't keep the newer files", figuring that maybe it was some update or recent install that had caused a problem. Bingo. Network now starts and works a treat. Thanks for your help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice