1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W98 won't start/VMM32/registry errors

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by monty-jay, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. monty-jay

monty-jay Thread Starter

Hello

I have had a problem with my dell inspiron 7500 laptop for a few months now, it will not load windows. I was very stressed out about trying to fix it and just gave up. That was back in november and I am now trying to fix it again. I have been looking up any kind of relevant info on the net with regards to my problems. That is how I found this forum, by reading this thread: http://forums.techguy.org/t105993/sa296ecd737a946dc60b98dc8a6f6c995.html

Most of this gentleman's problems are exactly what I am experiencing right now. I try to boot up normally and it tells me that the system.ini file refers to a missing device and i might have removed it, etc...then the file path says "c:\windows\vmm32" It also comes up with "c:\windows\vmm32\ifsmgr.vxd" and "c:\windows\vmm32\ios.vxd"

I go through that about four times and then it says there is not enough memory to continue loading windows and shuts down.

People have said I should be able to just get a windows 98 cd and reinstall it over the one i have now and it should boot up windows, but its not. Here is a more "detailed" version of what I have done and what happens:

Ok. I popped in the 98 cd, and typed d:setup. It then began to run through the procedure, copy files and all that, check my space to see if there was enough, then it says its almost done, but needs to restart. so it restarts and the same info about the vmm32 stuff comes up:

"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows 98 application.

the windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.

c:\windows\vmm32\IFSMGR.VXD
    Press a key to continue"

so I press a key and this comes up, all the same info as above except the file path is different:

C:\WINDOWS\VMM32\IOS.VXD

i press a key and continue, same stuff comes up, new path:

nwlink2.vxd
    Key, continue, OLD path:
    C:\WINDOWS\VMM32\IFSMGR.VXD

KEY, CONTINUE, OLD PATH AGAIN:
    C:\WINDOWS\VMM32\IOS.VXD

Key, continue, this comes up:

Insufficient memory to initialize windows.

Quit one or more memory resident programs or remove unnecessary utilities from your CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT.....

That is pretty much the same exact thing that would come up when i didn't use the windows 98 cd, just trying to reboot normally. i then went into the setup, changed it to boot from:
    1) cdrom
    2) hard disk
    3) floppy

So then the new windows 98 setup comes up and it asks if i want to install this over a previous OS already installed. i pick yes. IT says:

"Your computer may have a disk compression program installed on it. because this system may contain an existing OS or data, setup cannot continue."

then I just have to shut down and try things over. I tried doing what the other guys said, reinstall windows 98 and it should be fine. IT seems to be exactly the same. But maybe 98 isn't fully installed because it can't restart yet? Nothing seems to work so far...

2. monty-jay

monty-jay Thread Starter

Also, I just recently received my win98 cd and that is why I am now trying to fix it again. I didn't have one before, but that message about the system.ini/vmm32 files was the same as it was before I had tried to reinstall windows. I can do most of the reinstall just fine, it copies the files, then says it needs to reboot. so it begins to reboot, but that same system.ini/vmm32 error message pops up and i can't complete the install.

Is there some way to fix the system.ini error and vmm32 directory/files so I can load windows? I would have formatted this long ago, but I have large files that i cannot copy and am afraid to loose...Thanks!

3. monty-jay

monty-jay Thread Starter

Would reinstalling windows 98 usually take care of the missing/damaged vmm32/vxd directory/files? Shouldn't it simply reinstall them? Its not doing that. I have tried installing windows a few times and the same vmm32 error comes up and i can't continue to load windows.

What if I save my smaller files and format my drive? Would the vxd files work if I did that and then reinstalled windows 98? ANY insight would be greatly appreciated...thanks!!

4. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Try this monty-jay:
    http://www.infinisource.com/techfiles/vmm32.html

5. monty-jay

monty-jay Thread Starter

Good news: I was able to reinstall windows 98 into a new directory and boot up! Of course all of my programs won't work, but I now have access to my files and I think I can copy them over to another pc for now.

BUT, my screen display is very low, 16 colors. How do I get back up to true color or whatever it was before? It says "unknown monitor." Would this be a driver of some sort that I could find from the dell website?

6. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Just do a www.windowsupdate.com and then goto My computer and right click and to properties and in the Device Manager click the little plus sign next to display adapter and remove it and then restart the computer.

If you update the windows drivers along with other things it will load new drives that it needs when you reboot.

J

7. monty-jay

monty-jay Thread Starter

I downloaded the dell monitor drivers and it looks great now.

But I am not sure what to do next. The xircom pc card isn't getting recognized and I need that to connect to the internet to finish updating/reinstalling a few things. How can I get the xircom pc card working again?

8. lafn

lafn

you have to reload the video drivers, look for the drivers on the net ...
    you can do a google.com search... that usually works for me......

to prevent installin windows in new directory , you have to delete Regedit.exe, user.dat & system.dat in windows folder...
    otherwise it will use the same corrupt registry........

also good to use a program to back up registry (copy) when its working good.... then when problems occur.. you just reload the old register....

Billy

--------------------------------------------------
    I am nobody, nobody is perfect , I guess I'm perfect

9. monty-jay

monty-jay Thread Starter

I have downloaded and installed several programs which I am led to believe are the proper xircom realport drivers, but it doesn't make a difference. when it attempts to finish setting up, it checks for xircom modems and none are found. :confused:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice