1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W98SE/20 sec. freezes

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by TimZack, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimZack

TimZack Thread Starter

Howdy!

Why am I getting these intermitant 20sec freezes? After h20 damage I replaced the mother board and processor on this Dell Inspiron 3800 notebook. That's when it began. Have re-formatted the HD and re-installed the system. Freezes were still there briefly worked normally for days only to return! Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
    Clean install using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=D:\WIN98 /IE
    IE 5 6.0.2600.0000

GenuineIntel x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1
    320MB RAM
    69% system resources free
    Windows-managed swap file on drive C (3499MB free)
    Available space on drive C: 3499MB of 4634MB (FAT32)
    STARTUP: ScanRegistry, TaskMonitor, System Tray, Load pwr Profile, Norton AntiV. Antivirus uptodate & scanned. Ad-aware done. Processor shows no signs of overheating.
    Any suggestions?

2. slipe

slipe

If you are in a ranger station I would suspect Yogi Bear of stealing some of your CPU cycles.

Run a test on your RAM: http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp Start it before lunch – even the quick test takes a while.

How do you know the processor is showing no signs of overheating?

I would install the free version of TaskInfo: http://www.iarsn.com/ See if something might be grabbing CPU cycles during that 20 seconds. Are you getting an hourglass?

3. TimZack

TimZack Thread Starter

Slipe, thanks for responding. I'll check out the links you gave.

The problem is fixed! (So far, so good). It turns out that there are bear tracks leading in from the snow bank.

I also downloaded Dell's flash/bios which instantly took affect.

Anyway, as to the processor question, I checked by looking for discoloration and by touching. No discolor or heat felt. Also no hour glass when it was stalling. I love the PAST tense there!

What a relief. The problem is solved!

Much appreciation for your thoughts,
    Tim

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice