1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

W98SE Wireless Network Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by marine105, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marine105

marine105 Thread Starter

Having bought a new machine with XP Home preinstalled, I decided to keep the old one and set up a wireless network using a Belkin G USB Adapter on each machine.

After carefully following the configuration instructions, the new XP machine can "see" the old one but not access its files (file sharing is activated on both). The old machine which uses W98SE can "see" nothing: there is nothing in Network Neighbourhood.

The one thing which appears wrong is that on the 98SE machine at Windows Setup/Internet Tools/Internet Connection Sharing, if I check the box, I get "Network configuration not complete. Please install network hardware before installing I.C.S."

Now the Belkin Adapter is visible in the lists of installed hardware and software, so I don't understand why I can't install ICS?

Also is the absence of ICS the root cause of nothing showing in Network Neighbourhood?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

If both machines are hitting the wireless router then you definitely do not want ICS showing up. I would check bot computers and ensure that you have file and or print sharing enabled.

Once you have something shared try doing a command line \\computername\sharename and see if you are able to access.

I have seen where 2 workgrouped PC's do not see each other in Network neighboorhood before.

3. marine105

marine105 Thread Starter

Thanks. I already had both file & printer sharing enabled on both computers.

There's been a change during today! Now on the new (XP) machine in My Network Places, there is only an icon for the new machine itself. On the old (W98SE) machine, where Network Neighbourhood was previously blank, I now have an icon for Entire Network and an icon for the old machine itself. If I click on the Entire Network icon, it changes to an icon for my "Home" network.

On both machines, hitting the wireless connection icons tells me there is a connection with good signal strength.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329193

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice