Wacky Acting Hard Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

glarson731

Ever since I put in a new video card (ATI Pro 128-PCI) my hard drive has been acting really wierd. One day I walked in the room to find a "blue screen of death" saying cannot write to c:\ drive! When I rebooted I got a No PT! Error along with an invalid system disk. I rebooted again, same message. I entered cmos and scanned for hard drives and none were listed so I scanned for them and found them....booted and all was fine...for a little while...I even ran scandisk (no errors found) defragged the hard drive and scanned for viruses using Norton with new virus defs and found nothing and went about my merry way...til the next freeze.

Once again I tried the same process, this time it wouldn't find the drives in cmos so I shut the computer down. I tried again a few hours later and cmos found the drive this time and began to boot followed by a dos surface scan which passed with no errors and booted into Win98SE. So that is where I am currently at waiting for what appears to be a possible hard drive failure...but what gets me is how all diagnostics come back normal.

The question is do I buy a new hard drive becuse this one is gonna die or is it cmos and perhaps it's battery. My other suspect will be the IDE cable and power cable to the drive which I have yet to check. Also, I wondered if somehow the ATI card is affecting my HD as the back of the PCI card is VERY CLOSE to the IDE cables to the Mo-Bo. Could heat cause this effect to happen as my computer seems to freeze and neglect to identify the HD as it is running a while. I'll move the card to another slot and check the connections but I'm also looking for other possible causes and what theses inconsistant signs might mean.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Your problem is the video card, either not seated properly or not compatible with the rest of your system

Mike

glarson731

Thanks Mike for your input...I will check the card to see if it is seated correctly. The thing I don't get though is that it is a pretty basic PCI (not AGP) based card that shows no other signs of not working. It doesn't crash any games or anything.

Well, I suppose I could reinstall my Voodoo 3 and see if the problem goes away because I had no problems with that card.
Thanks again for your input.

I read somewhere that the ATI Pro 128-PCI may not be 100% compatible with some hardware. Check out at
www.ati.com or search Internet for the card info

Mike

glarson731

Thanks again Mike...I looked up my card on ATI's site and see no issues surrounding hardware and I was mistaken my model is the All-In-Wonder 128 (PCI) and NOT the PRO version as stated in the original post. The proof I guess will be in re-installing the voodoo3 and seeing if the problem resolves itself.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online