1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wacom Tablet and Vista/Laptop Touchpad causing freezing cursor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Twoapenny, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Twoapenny

Twoapenny Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

I've been looking for a sloution to this problem for a long while but couldn't find one anywhere that has worked.

I recently bought myself an HP Pavillion dv6760ea Entertainment Notebook... Specs include things like Vista Home Premium 32-bit, Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 / 1.67 GHz ( Dual-Core ), Ram: 2 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR II SDRAM ( 2 x 1 GB ) (Not really sure what specs I need to give here... If others are needed then yous hould be able to simply google the laptop model for them).

So I have this machine which I am pretty pleased with. I whack in my Wacom Volito 2 tablet and install the driver almost as soon as I get it set up and running. This, for some reason, gave me an on-screen keyboard at startup at the Login screen where I type my password. I have recently learnt that this is some behaviour by which Vista thinks that, because of the Wacom Driver, my laptop is infact a Tablet PC?

I started to get this issue where when I logged in and hit my desktop after startup, my cursor would freeze up... sometimes for minutes at a time... but it always took a long time before it actually unfroze and allowed me to do anything.

Months later I got fed up of this and started looking for the problem. After palying around I found that when I uninstalled my tablet's software the whole cursor freezing thing vanished. I seemed that this software was the cause of the problem. This is bad since I need my software in order to use my tablet properly (without it, it just behaves as a mouse with me dragging the cursor around rather than being able to tell it to go to a specific point on the screen using the pen (quite difficult to explain, it basically is as if the pad for the tablet corresponds to my laptop's screen e.g. when I touch the pen in the center of the pad the cursor moves to the center of the screen)).

I am thinking that the tablet driver is conflicting with my synaptics touchpad driver at startup. They both work alright in the end, but starting up my laptop is now a REAL pain when I have the software installed as it takes such a long time for the cursor to become useable. Also, occasionally when the software is uninstalled but the tablet is plugged in the cursor also freezes... usually after I have uninstalled the software and restarted but left the tablet plugged in.

I have tried disabling drivers that have the word wacom in it in device manager... for some reason the tablet still worked fine (the software was still installed?) and the freezing continued. It happens when the software is installed. That I am pretty (not completely) sure of.

Basically I would like for the freezing to stop and for me to be able to use my tablet. I don't care much for all this new Vista tablet stuff with the side bar, handwriting and pen flicks; I just want my tablet to move the cursor properly. I think either I need to resolve this conflict (or whatever it is) or find new software to tell my tablet how to work properly.

Also on what I think is a completely unrelated topic. I have another problem on my laptop wherby when I play long videos from my hardrive there is a tendency for the video image to stop but the audio continue followed by the video suddenly fast forwarding quickly to catch up with the audio. VERY annoying... especially as my laptop is meant to be an entertainment notebook. any help with this is very much welcome, but I would like to deal with the above problem first =P

Sorry for the long rant and explanation! I was trying to get my problem across clearly. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thankyou very much!

2. Twoapenny

Twoapenny Thread Starter

Update:

I tried the same driver on another similar laptop. It was also an HP Pavillion of the same sort of series but with slightly different specs.

Exactly the same thing happened as before which means that it is something that these laptops have in common. The most likely cause, I think, is the synaptics touchpad driver conflicting with the Wacom Driver. I have emailed wacom who have emailed back with useless information about reinstalling without firewalls and virus scanners which don't work.

Anyone experiencing similar problems or have any knowledge into this issue?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/739800