1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Waht is the minimum resolution for DVD authoring

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by kaaos, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

im using sony vegas(7) to render a video project. i captured the video at around 740x580. what rez should i render as for DVD quality when i save the file. also should i just render as mpeg?

thanks in advance!

2. linskyjack

linskyjack

What is your medium of delivery---Is this for the computer, back to tape, or for a DVD?

3. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

its for dvd. once rendered i guess i have to use that dvd architect that vegas came with. i just bought the 2 programs last week and i'm kind of new to all this.

as long as im asking, how much recorded time will fit in a 4.7gb dvd disk or does it have more to do with file size?

thanks

4. linskyjack

linskyjack

At the highest quality---about one hour and a half. If you lower the quality then you can increase that. Here is how I do it.

1. Edit the project in Vegas
    2. Select Render As (file menu I believe) and pick mpeg2 DVD NTSC. Save to wherever you want. If you have quiet a few changes and corrections it will take a while.
    3. Open DVD Architect. If you want the movie to just play when you pop it in a DVD player, then just fine the mpeg you rendered in Explorer and bring it in. Then click the burn to DVD icon and it will take you through the steps. If you are going to make a menu driven DVD, then the process is more complex.

5. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

i think the files i am trying to edit are to big:

let me start from the beginning:

I captured an HD show from my comcast motorola HD DVR using fire wire. i used Roxio 8 to capture as it was the only program that would dee the DVR. the lowest resolution i could use was 740X480 (or there about)

it saved as a .MT2 file about 30GB file for a 3 hr show.

i used a free ware prog called HDTV to MPEG that made several 1gb files that i used in VEGAS. I cut out the commercials with vegas. leaving me with a 2.30hr project

i started to render as mpeg dvd ntc at 740x480 16:9 2 passes for best qual but it was way to slow. it was about 1% per hour so i stoped it after 10hrs (10%).

was not sure why it was that slow. it would take me 100hrs at that rate. i was thinking that maybe changing the the resolution to a lower setting than 740x480 that it would speed things up. should i disable 2 passes option? does the resolution make any difference in rendering time?

do codecs matter?

very new to vegas. was using roxio 8 and or wimmedia movie maker.
    thanks again(y)

6. linskyjack

linskyjack

Can you pull the files from your HDDVR into Vegas without converting them to mpeg? If you can, then I would cut out what you don't want, and then render using the DVD NTSC file. Codecs do matter but in this case you should have them all built into Vegas.

7. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

i tried to drop th4e .mt2 file but it would not load in vegas

8. linskyjack

linskyjack

I forgot, what version of Vegas are you using?

9. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

im using the new sony vegas 7

10. linskyjack

linskyjack

Vegas 7 has the Cineform HDV codec built in that you should be able to capture .mt2 files, which are HDV files from the capture module. I think the problem has to do with the fact that you are saving directly from the HDVR and then down-rezing to 720x480 using Roxio. What I think you should do is take this over to Sony Media's forum---They have some real technical wizards over there that should be able to diagnose your problem.

11. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

hey linskyjack thanks for all you help. i'm buying a new custom pc and intel E6600 duo core. i hope its better than my laptop p4 AND MY CURRENT DESKTOP'S amd 1800 ...LOL(y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice