1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wake On Lan Gone Crazy

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rangerdave, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rangerdave

rangerdave Thread Starter

Ok, here's the scoop. I'm trying to get my Wake On Lan (WOL) to work properly. The problem I'm having is, as soon as the PC goes to sleep (Standby), it wakes up again within 3 seconds. I don't know what is causing it. Have a netopia Router, and somebody said DHCP requests could wake it up, so I even disabled DHCP in the router. I'm just trying to get it to wake up locally using Magic Packets from this program here:
    http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-gui.aspx
    But I can't get the computer to stay asleep.

I'm using the Newest Asus A8n32-SLI with 2 nics onboard. Yes, I've enabled the WOL in the bios, and when the computer goes to sleep, I still see the Link lights on my router and my NIC. I close everything that I can think of that is trying to use any internet connection, but still, it wakes right back up. Any suggestions? Thanks Alot!

Running Windows XP 64bit

Ranger

2. rangerdave

rangerdave Thread Starter

nevermind, I got it all figured out. I'll post my solution in case others have the same difficulties I had.

Under the power management tab of the Network Card Properties,you need to enable the option that states "Only allow management stations to bring the computer out of standby", which means, only let the Magic Packet Util wake it up, and not every single unsolicitated packet on your network. This proved to work just fine for me.

Ranger

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You really should get away from using the power management options for your NIC and for your computer. Your computer will run better and have less problems.

Attached Files:

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, I've used the monitor power management on every computer I assemble and use, it's never been an issue. I really don't want all the monitors sitting there running 24/7 when they're not in use. I also turn off the disks on machines that aren't in use all the time.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    JohnWill:

I'm just relating from experience because I've seen a number of computers freeze up or refuse to come out of standby/hibernation mode.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never turn off my monitors or speakers. I just turn off the tower units.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I agree on hibernation, I've had multiple issues with that, and it's the first thing I disable on a new installation! :D

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice