wake on lan Mac address

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chewie1012

I would like to wake on lan. Dsl Reports has a wake me remotely function. You need the mac address though. How do I figure out what my mac address is?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
IPCONFIG /ALL in a command prompt. The "Physical Address" is your MAC address.

Or 'winipcfg' from Start-> Run on a 9x machine. Select your NIC. Adapter address is what you want. Fair warning: Your NIC as well as your motherboard must support WOL for it to work.

chewie1012

would I put the dashes in when inserting the address? Is it case sensitive?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Originally posted by Jeckler:
Or 'winipcfg' from Start-> Run on a 9x machine. Select your NIC. Adapter address is what you want. Fair warning: Your NIC as well as your motherboard must support WOL for it to work.
IPCONFIG is on W98 machines too, although WINIPCFG has a prettier face. :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Originally posted by chewie1012:
would I put the dashes in when inserting the address? Is it case sensitive?
You don't necessarily put in dashes, it depends on what format the MAC is expected in. The MAC is six bytes of data, normally represented as six hex pairs. I've seen it entered with dashes, all mashed together, and in separate little boxes. Do whatever is called for in your situation.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online