1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wake on lan Mac address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chewie1012, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chewie1012

chewie1012 Thread Starter

I would like to wake on lan. Dsl Reports has a wake me remotely function. You need the mac address though. How do I figure out what my mac address is?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

IPCONFIG /ALL in a command prompt. The "Physical Address" is your MAC address.

3. Jeckler

Jeckler

Or 'winipcfg' from Start-> Run on a 9x machine. Select your NIC. Adapter address is what you want. Fair warning: Your NIC as well as your motherboard must support WOL for it to work.

4. chewie1012

chewie1012 Thread Starter

would I put the dashes in when inserting the address? Is it case sensitive?

5. JohnWill

IPCONFIG is on W98 machines too, although WINIPCFG has a prettier face. :)

6. JohnWill

You don't necessarily put in dashes, it depends on what format the MAC is expected in. The MAC is six bytes of data, normally represented as six hex pairs. I've seen it entered with dashes, all mashed together, and in separate little boxes. Do whatever is called for in your situation.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116999

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice