1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wake On LAN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SteOasisFan, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SteOasisFan

SteOasisFan Thread Starter

hey,

i work in a school as a technician, i have a room full of computers...they all have the same hardware spec, they all are build and setup exactly the same, the settings in the BIOS are exactly the same, the windows XP settings are the same. however, when i send a wake up command only 4 machines in the room will wake up.

any ideas what i could check? one of the main things i noticed was on some of the machines (the ones that wake up) the driver for the network card is not digitally signed..surely that wouldn't make a difference...would it?

regards

SteOasisFan

2. joebogey

joebogey

Just to be sure make sure that it is enabled within the BIOS of the hardware, also check on OS Settings, if they are asleep you have to make sure OS will allow activity to bring alive, I think it is in power settings.

Finally check your BIOS revisions. Hope this helps.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, everything is NOT the same, since you have a different driver in some of the machines. Since that is the principal difference, I'd investigate that further. :) I assume you've checked the BIOS for the WOL option being enabled, as well as the properties of the NIC in Device Manager for the WOL options, correct?

4. SteOasisFan

SteOasisFan Thread Starter

yeah ive tried everything, changing so they have the same drivers! all the options in the BIOS are enabled with regards to WOL and everything in the OS and Hardware configurations.

its so damn frustrating!!!

if it helps anybody im using XP and the network card is a realtek 8139/810x family card...think thats it off the top of my head...its an onboard thingy

technical jargon or what!

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, WOL works by use of the MAC address, are you 100% sure that you don't have any duplicate MAC addresses, and you're specifying the address correctly to the WOL software?

Since they're identical systems, how about a simple test. Using something like a USB 2.0 hard disk, do a GHOST image of one of the working ones, and put it onto one of the non-working ones. See if you are successful... Note this is for testing only, since you'll have duplicate SID's in the system if you leave that image on the other system, not to mention duplicate serial numbers...

6. biemmer

biemmer

Might be a simple questions

- Are they all on the same subnet? Some VLANs do not allow magic packets to cross to other subnets.

- Are all the machines registered with DHCP or have seen the network with an IP address? At my school public areas can not self register and pull an IP - the MAC addresses need to be known.

- Are the same 4 computers always being woken up or is it random?

-B

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!