1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wake-on-lan...

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Nanotech, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nanotech

Nanotech Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Hope you are all well.

Just a quick question. I'm wanting some software similar to WAKE-ON-LAN, but what I'm wanting is for it to SLEEP/SWITCH OFF machines after a certain time. My company works until 9:00pm on an evening. I'm wanting some software similar to the WOL that can do the opposite - so SLEEP-ON-LAN if you will.

Does any of you know if software such as this exists. And if so where would I be able to get it from?

Thank you,

N.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Is there some reason you can't use one of the built in power schemes on each system to either go into standby or hibernate after a set period of inactivity?

3. Nanotech

Nanotech Thread Starter

No. No reason. However, wouldn't that be a little time consuming? There are around 250 machines in the company, I was looking for a quick way of doing this.

Would that be the only way?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Unless you're working in a very high security situation that demands all computers be turned off at a particular time of day, forcing computers into sleep, standby, or to power off at a specific time is likely to cause some serious problems. With 250 computers, I assume you already have an infrastructure in place to apply policies or distribute Windows power scheme settings. Allow the computers to power down when not in use.

All it takes is for one computer to shut itself off at 9:00pm while someone is working on a critical file, and they'll be looking for a new system administrator.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/692896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice