1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wal Mart

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Armless, Jan 14, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. Armless

Armless Thread Starter

There has been word going around that a Wal Mart will be built near my community soon. Me and many others oppose it. Is there anything I can do to stop this? I've heard of things like getting people in the community to sign things...I want to do something, but where do I start? Someone tell me what I can do...I'm only 17 by the way lol...so money is out of the question...

2. Armless

Armless Thread Starter

anyone? =\

3. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Why do you hate it?... Will you be affected by it's arrival?

Are you opposed just because your parents are?..

People fought our Wal Mart, but it turned out fine.. They fought when it went to a "Super Wal Mart".. but still seems everything is fine.. Some stores have lost $$ but were forced to lower prices..

We have a small town 70 miles from the next bigest, so prices were a bit high here, Wal Mart helped bring that down a bit..
    Can't say for sure it's impact, but it seems fine.. Town is still growing.

4. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

about the only thing you can do is be vocal it is your right to poblically voice your opinion and you being young this tends to impress people so it may be easy for you to gain an audence

5. Chovy

Chovy

You know what, everyone in my city fought walmart off by pickitting and even making the land that would be owned by walmart unusable. The result. Now I have to Drive 30 miles to get almost anything. Local buisnesses survived, and so did their overpriced merchandise and bad customer appreciation.

6. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Right... See that's the down side.. Sounds like my town before Wal Mart...
    Almost every "Mom and Pop" store treated you like.. "We got it, if you need it, pay our price or get out.".... Not so now.

The plus is, since Wal Mart, the out lying towns now come in and shop here.. So in a way it has brought more money to our town..
    We have people from other counties driving over..
    More than an hour away, just to get to Wal Mart... That means more people buying gas, and food here..

Now I can't speak for Wal Mart it self... I've heard the bad, and have heard from employees that hate it.. but the fact it's here, seems to be a good thing for our town.

7. Chovy

Chovy

I admit, Walmart is not a nice corp. There was a documentary on either CNN of CNBC on its hard-ball tactics. You might just Google walmart stopping and find your solution. There are groups out there of thousands of people who live to stop walmart.

8. loony_taz00

loony_taz00

lol, I work at walmart, Well my time ther eis done now tohugh, jsut a christmas rush help. but ya, you can't stop develpment

9. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

10. Ciberblade

Ciberblade Retired Moderator

I think to really understand, we must get to the heart of your opposition to Wal Mart. It will bring vast benefits to your community -- more than you may realize first off. When I went to NO they donated hundreds of dollars worth of water bottles (y)

11. deh

deh

Martha Stewart uses Chinese slave labor it is a big story, Wal Mart does it and it takes a backseat.
    Maybe they figure common sense would tell you that the $2 sweater you just bought was likely produced under slave like conditions.

12. deh

deh

Walmart health benefits are so bad that they teach the employees how to apply for public assistance. Guess who foots that bill?

13. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG

What ?????

14. Ciberblade

Ciberblade Retired Moderator

You are cherry-picking on this one and I know it -- perhaps a little more review of those benefits are in order ;)

I'll follow up later :cool:

15. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG

Ohio is getting 45 new walmart stores here........some are built and some are getting built now.....the ohio governor gave them a great tax break to built in ohio..........the one by me is 12 miles away............myself i like walmart so far.....but i know most of the help there too

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!