1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wallpaper quality.. pls help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lazee, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lazee

Lazee Thread Starter

Hi... ok a few weeks ago my computer was infected by a spyware that hijacked my desktop wallpaper, might have been spyware sherrif. I was able to remove it, but now my desktop wallpaper image is being displayed in a very low quality. This isnt a huge problem, but it is driving me absolutly nuts. I have searched absolutely everywhere for some kind of solution, but i don't see anyone else having this same problem. I would be very greatly appreciative if anyone can help me with this problem. I am using windows xp pro and when removing the spyware i changed a few registry keys, but I forgot which ones. Maybe that may have caused it, but right now I really have no clue what else i can do... thanks in advance for any help/info/advice :)

2. lola2001

lola2001

Does the rest of the graphics on the internet for example look ok? Have you changed your screen resolution? Can you try using NO wallpaper, rebooting and adding back the one you want. Also have you tried opening that particular image in an image editing program? How does it look? Can you send the image for me to see?

3. Lazee

Lazee Thread Starter

hi...all the graphics looks exactly the same/normal ... also im using the exact same wallpaper as before. It's just that now for some reason the quality of the wallpaper is very noticeably lower. You can see the pixels and eveything. It happens with whatever picture I set as my wallpaper. When i try viewing the image in a seperate editing program, everything looks fine.

4. Krelian

Krelian

Are the wallpapers set to "Stretch Image"? That would easily increase the resolution of the image so that it looks pixelated. Also, if you have your resolution set high in display settings, yet the image was the same size in pixels, windows would resize it to fit the bigger desktop thus making it pixelated as well.

I doubt any changing of settings or spyware, other than those two things, would make the image look pixelated. The only other reason it could look that way is if you edited the image.

Also, try opening the image up in Paint, going to Image->Attributes and checking the size of the width and height in pixels, then going into display settings then clicking the settings tab and checking if the screen resolution matches it's width/height.

5. Lazee

Lazee Thread Starter

hey guys.... i finally found and fixed the problem. for those of you who might have the same problem.. heres how i fixed it: i deleted a few lines from my windows registry, which i think were added when i downloaded some of the tweaks from kellys corner. here's what i deleted :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoActiveDesktop"=dword:00000000
    "ClassicShell"=dword:00000000
    "ForceActiveDesktopOn"=dword:00000001

might wanna back it up first... i'm not sure exactly which one of these entries caused my wallpaper to look like crap but after i deleted these entries, my wallpapers is back to normal now. thank you guys for your help tho... :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/440583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice