Wallpaper & Windows?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

murphydouglas

I like to change my wallpaper frequently. I used to be able to right click on a picture and then click set as wallpaper and I would be all set. Ever since I installed Photosuite I can't do that anymore. I uninstalled Photosuite but it still doesn't work right. My pictures are coming up on a Kodak picture viewer now. How can I fix this?

Have you tried repairing IE?
Go to Control Panel>Add Remove programs and scroll to the IE entry. Click Remove. Three choices will appear. Choose Repair.

In addition to Mosaic's answer, it sounds like when you uninstalled Photosuite, it left some extensions "out there flappin" or unassociated if you will. To re-associate a particular file to a program (i.e. .bmp) hold shift and right click on the icon and it will give you the option to "Open with...". For .bmp I use MS Paint but you can select what you want. Make sure to check the box "Always use this program to open this type of file". Don't worry if you choose the wrong thing just do the same process over again like before.

Hopefully this will be helpful. Don't mean to step on your toes or anything Mosaic...believe me you have helped me more than enough times. :)

Fairbairn,

No problem. If a file is unassociated and it is a default IE file, repairing will result in IE reclaiming the file. Also, not having that entry on the context menu is something repairing IE may fix.

If the files are opening in another program, reassociating them manually will be the way to go after repairing IE.

Am I to understand that when you right click on a picture in IE and select “set as wallpaper” the photo opens in your Kodak viewer? Or do you have two separate problems? Does the Kodak viewer not have an option to set the image as wallpaper?

You might like Irfanview. Great viewer and it has set as wallpaper and previous wallpaper options: http://www.irfanview.com/english.htm

murphydouglas

Okay, I tried to do the repair thing, but repair didn't come up as an option. I just got a box that said "Are you sure you want to remove this?" I said no and backed out. What did I do wrong? It sounded so simple. I did choose a program to open picture files with, that is the Kodak picture viewer. When I right click on the picture in that program there is no option to set as wallpaper. Is there a different program I should try? Thanks for the Irfanview suggestion. I wil try that.

You didn't do anything wrong. You don't have the repair feature. Do the 'shift + right click open with' method again but choose either IExplore or Explorer on the list. In order to right click a photo and choose set as wallpaper the pic has to be opened in a browser window first. Of course Irfanview is another option.

If you want to have the repair feature for IE, you can upgrade.

Kento is right about reassociating file types individually.

murphydouglas

Problem Solved! I finally got them to open in Explorer and everything works just like it used to. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts