1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wallwart power supply re-purposing question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeShmoeJohnDoe, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeShmoeJohnDoe

JoeShmoeJohnDoe Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mac Daddy Flex
    I have inherited a power supply-less, remote-less Kodak EasyShare SV1011 from the trash and I have a hoard of Wallwarts so I found the closest thing to the original and attached the appropriate plug/spliced the cords and It works... For now... But I'm not sure how safe this is. I already showed it to gramma and she wants it so It's just too late to turn back, either I gotta buy a power supply or another Kodak gizmo if this thing isn't safe enough.

Intended Power Adapter: 12VDC @ 1.5A

Used Power Adapter: Cisco OEM Model ADS0202-U120267 50/60Hz 0.6A Output 12V @ 1.67A
    Power Consumption: 18W
    Serial?: KCMVZ815J04427
    Manufactured April 2007

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the polarity and voltage is the same, and the amperage is the same or higher on the adapter then you are fine. More available current is fine. That is as long as your splicing is good, make sure it's soldered properly and shrink wrapped or electrically taped so no wires are exposed, coming loose, or can touch.

3. JoeShmoeJohnDoe

JoeShmoeJohnDoe Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mac Daddy Flex
    So these power adapters only supply the required amperage? I've joined wires before and it's clean but I wasn't sure the adapter was gonna go full buck on the device. I had no idea they worked that way.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Devices will only draw as much current as they need.

5. cornemuse

cornemuse

I bought a 'brand new' 24" Samsung monitor1-2 years back. It was/is near 10 years old, but was NEVER used. Outfit bought all these comps/monitors/etc, took everything out of the boxes and didnt need one monitor. Somewhere along the line they lost the power supply for it, I got it for $20. I happened to have a Dell power supply, same voltage, slightly higher amps, works perfectly. This Samsung was built/assembled in Tiajuana Mexico, to date it. I have boxes of many various power supplies, this has paid off nicely for me.

-c-

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice