WAN internet much slower than LAN connection...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

slosvt

Is this normal?

Using this site, http://infospeed.verizon.net/, I can download at a rate of 4000kb/ps on the oldest/slowest desktop (1.2g celeron with 256mb Ram) in the house, but its hooked up via an ethernet cable plugged into the router. However the laptop (2.4gb celeron with 256mb Ram) and the other desktop (2.4 Athlon w/ 1g of Ram) in my house that use wireless cards and only pull 1000kb/ps. Both of these cpus show a signal strength of excellent and 54mb/ps. Lately the speeds have dropped as low as 200/300 kb/ps, but restarting the router picked the speed back up to 1000kb/ps.

Is there a setting in the router that can increase the speeds or does running on a 64 bit encryption slow them down that much?

Thanks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Encryption and contention with other wireless connections all slow down the connection. On a good day with a single 802.11g machine connected, and no encryption, you'll be lucky to hit 25mbit/sec real throughput on your wireless link. Encryption, and more connections will basically knock that silly, so you're probably in the 15kbit range, maybe slower.

Until a much better technology comes along, perhaps 802.11n if it ever gets completed, wired connections will run rings around wireless.

Well the time has come, "n" is on its way .....;) But with what price :confused:

Looking at old threads is so great sometimes.....i guess it gives "time" some meaning.....:p

P.S. Whats next JW ?

And wired still wins in speed and stability BUHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry all you wi-fi fans I just had to note that little tidbit :).

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The only wireless in my place is for my laptop and testing wireless machines. Next is gigabit wired connections everywhere, not just in the lab. :D

yeah, so much stuff now comes gigabit "ready"
But i guess theres still not enough bandwitdh to give us cable users...how does that work anyways....when can i get my giga? :mad:

Cant wait for fiberoptic to go real mainstream :D

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I wouldn't know what to do with a 50mbit connection, never mind one faster. :D

Ive had a similiar problem in the past with a wired and wireless connection.

I tested it using a site as such: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

And then went into the registry and changed the MTU (amount of packets of data being sent and incoming to remote servers). After playing for a while, i got a good packet amount and it increased my internet connection by 20%.

MTU Change: http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1104/

worth a try ?!??!?!? ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online