1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WAN optimization

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sphinx, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

I have road runner cable and experience very high latency because my roommate is frequently watching youtube videos and the like. My latency is usually average 500ms when I ping speedguide.net

Without anyone else on the network it goes down to its normal 80ms.

I am looking into WAN optimization via software, and am open to suggestions. I've looked into QoS, but my router doesn't have it, and upgrading my router is not an option. Plus configuring QoS correctly seems to be a huge pain. I know windowsXP has a built-in QoS, but I can't find where you actually configure it - I can only find where you turn it on or off.

I was also reading about a thing called "ishaper". I'm not sure if it's software or what it is- but you prioritize things on a scale of 1-7, so things like youtube would be on 6 or so, web browsing on 4, and such.

I'm looking for help from anyone who has experience with this, or knows of any other suggestions I might use.

I also notice web browsing slows significantly with my latency above 250ms. At normal latency, pages load literally instantly. With higher latency I notice a 2 second or so delay, even when plenty of bandwidth is available,

Thanks, and I am open to suggestions,

-Tyler

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

hmm, I appreciate the suggestion, but this seems like something for fixing wireless internet connections? Really my connection is fine, I am simply looking how to implement QoS of some sort. I am trying to learn how to configure windows XP's built-in QoS support. And if I did this, would this need to be set on every computer on the network for it to be effective?

Or better yet, I am looking for a program that provides QoS capabilities that might be easier to configure than the one in Windows XP - I can't figure out anything about this!
    Thanks

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    dman30 is just posting his product's sales literature on random threads.

The only common device in your network is the router, so that is where QoS needs to take place. I don't know anything about XP's QoS, but it certainly will impact only the computer on which it is running. Unless you channel all other computers through your PC (using ICS); but this would end up with bigger problems.

I think that your only solution is cooperation.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

dman30 is gone, and his alter-ego will be too if I see a SPAM message from him. I'll leave that name a mystery now, but I'm watching. :D

5. JohnWill

Terry is correct, the QoS would have to be done at a common point.

I can't imagine why your latency goes up that much unless the other computers are really pounding the connection.

6. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

If I were to implement the qos solution on all 3 computers (theres only 3 here), that would be feasable. My router has no QoS, so I'm just wondering how you set it up in windows xp. When downloading large files, theres no need for low latency, so im pretty sure this is hiking up the latency on the network.
    Thanks

7. JohnWill

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You made me a little curious so I went to the Help and Support Center and seached for "Packet Scheduler." Installing it should be easy. But I think it's used to divvy up the bandwidth used by the particular PC, not to throttle the total bandwidth. In other words, you could set it to give more priority to your game and less to your music stream, but that would have no effect on any other computer. [EDIT: this sentence is incorrect; see John's post above.]

Suggest you start reading some of the articles you can find with the Help and Support Center, and then search the web for something like XP QoS if you need more info.

9. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

QoS isn't going to optimize your wan. It is used to optimize your lan. After all that QoS isn't going past your router.

My understanding is that there are two software approaches to your issue.

One is to put in a proxy bandwidth limiting software. This is where all pcs point to your pc for gateway and your pc monitors/controls bandwidth usage via the proxy config.

The second is software installed on all machines and then configured to limit bandwidth usage.

You can google to get more specific software recommendations that will more closely fit what you want to accomplish. Best of luck.

10. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the help. I am looking for the second option really. Something that limits latency/bandwidth depending on the application. I would set this up on all three computers individually.

I am a little confused now though, when John said there is no configurability in windows xp qos. I did look into and it seems there is, but it is very confusing.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc162504.aspx

Sorry for the title, technically it is "LAN optimization", not WAN.

What exactly is WAN optimization anyway?

Thanks

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That article to which you linked had almost nothing about the user being able to do anything in XP. Most of the article was about Windows Servers.

12. JohnWill

Note that the article says there are API's to manage the QoS capability of the individual workstation. However, unless you're writing the application, you aren't likely to be able to access the API.

WAN - Wide Area Network, for most users, that's the Internet.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice