1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wanabe Monster Machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrWizard2U, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrWizard2U

MrWizard2U Thread Starter

I run a lot of ms office applications for my work and like to play a game or two occasionally. My favorite (freelancer) is now over 4 years old but will stay with it until I find a suitable MP replacement. Doing quite a bit of video capturing, rendering, editing and burning. All the time on msn or xfire. Currently I cant do it all at once on my machine and occasionally it just isnt grunty enough to do even one thing.

Want to build a PC that will do this and more effortlessly. Was thinking along the below lines and would appreciate advice. Primary concern is system stability? Will these components even go together? Any known issues with the combination? Any less expensive alternatives without compromizing the stability?
    • CPU - Pentium D 950 or 960 (is there a big difference?)
    • Mobo - Asus P5N32 - SLI Deluxe
    • Video card - Asus GeForce GTX PCIe 512 MB (is this an overkill?)

Quite happy to spend up to $1,000.- for the above 3 components. Already have the HD, DVD-RW. I will pack it with max possible RAM

Is there anything else important to include with the above or are the other bits and pieces less important.

Appreciate you help.

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

Of course, a case and a power supply (don't skimp). I don't know if it has onboard sound, but whether it does or not, consider a sound card. Despite the fact that they are becoming legacy, I would get a floppy. The possibilities go on and on, but alot of these depend on your preferences.

3. MrWizard2U

Other then the floppy no arguments with your suggestions.

Still would like to know if the above CPU will sit and work nicely on the above mobo and the other questions that didnt get answered.

4. MrWizard2U

Bump

Not sure if it got missed or nobody knows yet. Still hoping someone can advise on a mobo to go with Pentium D processor.

5. MrWizard2U

I ended up with the following:

Mobo: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
    CPU: Intel C2D E6700 with Ninja Cooler - OC @ 3.33GHz
    VGA: Asus GeForce EN7950 512MB - OC @ 610/820 MHz
    RAM: Corsair TWIN2X2048 - @ 667MHz (not happy with this)
    HDD: 2x Seagate 500GB Sata 2 in Raid 0
    Optical: Lite-On DVD RW
    PSU: CoolerMaster 600W
    Case: Powerlogic Atrix
    Floppy: Had to get one to load Raid drivers

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice