Wandering cursor trouble

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

supersadie

I have an Acer E15 laptop with a touchpad (Elan). From time to time I find it's doing odd things in Excel, such as when I tap to click on a box and then move the cursor it selects all the cells as though I've done click and drag. It seems tap to click has been turned off (although in the settings it seems to be on still). Problem is resolved only by rebooting. More recently the cursor decides randomly to wander - at first seeming to be lagging but then wandering around the screen by itself for a while before coming to rest.
Any ideas?

By the way, although the info below says defender is disabled, it does say it's on and working on my system.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 8
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 8075 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1984 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 937753 MB, Free - 747951 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, Aspire E5-511
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Hi,

When touchpad hardware is faulty or damaged, it can manifest in cursor jump and click locks etc.
- Try turning the touch sensitivity as low as possible using the touchpads settings dialog - it should be located in the Control Panel under Mouse.
- Make sure the touchpad surface is clean and free of any oils, moisture etc, If anything residual is present, clean it with a microfiber or similar cloth. Avoid using any cleaning fluids.
- Disable the touchpad in the control panel and attach a mouse. If the behavior continues with the touchpad disabled, then the problem is more likely software related/virus etc.

Cheers,
S

Sent from mTalk

supersadie

I can't quite work out if it's faulty hardware why it's sometime fine and other times not, nor why the problem goes away if the laptop's rebooted.

I don't have a mouse to try, nor anything about mouse sensitivity.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!