1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wanna cry files found

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Kferguson319, Jul 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kferguson319

Kferguson319 It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

I had a question about whether it's possible on a VPN and while I'm hardwired into my modem and had a dialer hooked up to my home phone to the mac...if someone could create a clone of what would appear to be just another one of my computers running on my home network if I had it running online just in another room but away from my work computer. I ask this cause my beats audio laptop would appear on my work computer which is all in one mac PC. But the thing is my beatsaudio was dead in my bedroom and powered off. But when logging into Microsoft office 365 or sharepoint. I suddenly seen my personal profile pic I use on my personal computer as the pic I used for my work profile. And found some wanna cry files buried in my onedrive or sharepoint files, then my mac plus half of my colleagues & our works systems went offline. This was just after tech support helped me with user name and password issues to a workplace application that my employer and one of today's biggest vendors use for account and billing issues and screen sharing with customers.

I just before we were taken offline I seen the name of my computer under the network tab on my mac. I also noticed that McAfee was not updated and was running a 5.5 or like 8.8 I wanna say. It's been a while since I seen that info but security issues are still a concern for me and since no one in my company wants to truly dig a bit deeper to help my workplace environment I think I might have to resign cause they don't want me reporting it to the vendors technical support team. I work remotely from home. And my ISP found a hacking tool of some kind on my son's hp not too long ago. Help me find out what the possibilities are of this vendor being under a brutal upcoming attack that I refuse to be apart of

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. lunarlander

lunarlander

a. Your Win10 profile is synchronized with whatever PC you sign in with that account name and password. It is in Settings > Accounts > Sync your settings. It is stupid to turn this on, attacks spread to all signed on machines.

b. Remove the wanna cry files from your onedrive if you haven't done so already.

c. Phone your colleagues to verify why they went offline. It might be due to an attack, or it might not be.

Then we will continue to analyse further.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice