1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Want 2 know wallpaper URL

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by abeer_d, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abeer_d

abeer_d Thread Starter

Hi,
    The computer I access in the cybercafe has an image as a wallpaper which has been characterized as an "Internet explorer wallpaper". I want to know the URL of the image. Can u pls help me?

Thanx.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

abeer_d

The application\ability has to be installed before any Toolbar wallpaper can be used. Here is a recent thread Joe started listing a link to the program. Microsoft also has the program available for 5.x IE versions.

Joes Thread

Link to other Wallpapers available.

Dave

3. steamwiz

steamwiz

abeer_d

I am interpreting your question in a totally different way to Dave

Are you saying that when you right click the desktop and choose properties - the desktop image is shown as "Internet explorer wallpaper" and you want to know the location of this image on the computer ?

If so this is the location in win98

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

The other wallpapers are at C:\WINDOWS\WEB\WALLPAPER

steam

4. abeer_d

abeer_d Thread Starter

Steamwiz,
    Your answer was helpful.

Actually i wanted to know the location of the image on the net (its net URL).

Could u help me?

Thanx.

5. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi abeer_d

The only way you can find out which website (net URL) the wallpaper came from is to ask the person who put it on the computer, where they got it from.

Following this path will take you to the wallpaper file ("Internet explorer wallpaper")where you can copy it (if the cybercafe will let you)

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Internet Explorer wallpaper.bmp

steam

6. abeer_d

abeer_d Thread Starter

Steamwiz,
    When i typed in the address :-

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Internet Explorer wallpaper.bmp

in the "Address" box of Windows Explorer, i got the message:-

Cannot find the file or shell item 'C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Internet Explorer Wallpaper.bmp'.Make sure the path and filename are correct.
    Enter 'go<SearchString>' to use AutoSearch.

What do i do?

7. steamwiz

steamwiz

What is the o\s - that is the path to the file in win98

Just put this path in - C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer - then click on internet explorer

If the o\s is not win98

Try this - go to Start\Find files and type in internet explorer wallpaper do not put .bmp (it may be a .jpg) - do not use quotes ("") it may not find it

If internet explorer wallpaper is in the list - double click it and if it is a .bmp it should open in paint

go to "file" click save as (and save it to a floppy) or click send (and send it to your home computer as an attachment)

steam

8. abeer_d

abeer_d Thread Starter

Steamwiz,
    Yes, the OS is Windows 98. But i couldn't understand the part u said about putting:-

C:\WINDOWS98\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

and clicking on Internet Explorer.

Can u pls clarify?

Thnx.

9. steamwiz

steamwiz

Two different ways to get to the wallpaper :-

1. paste this into the address bar and press return (enter)

Do you see a .jpg or a bitmap called "internet explorer wallpaper"

Right click the file - send to - floppy - or mail recipient (and mail it to yourself)
    -----------------
    2. Try this - go to Start\Find files and type in internet explorer wallpaper do not put .bmp (it may be a .jpg) - do not use quotes ("") it may not find it

If internet explorer wallpaper is in the list - double click it and if it is a .bmp it should open in paint

go to "file" click save as (and save it to a floppy) or click send (and send it to your home computer as an attachment)
    -------------------

steam

10. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy

If it's listed in the background list in display properties it should be in C:\Windows...none the less...the find files should work fine

steam...

"paste this into the address bar and press return "

where's the return key... maybe the enter key or click go

and this path...C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer gets me no where near any wallpaper

buck

11. steamwiz

steamwiz

Buck

Cheers - "return" probably should have been "enter"

To me "return" and "enter" have always meant the same thing.

In win98 if you set wallpaper directly frm the net it will be saved as "internet explorer wallpaper" at this location :-

If you right click the desktop and go to your list of wallpapers - they are saved at :-

C:\WINDOWS\web\wallpaper - but the "internet explorer wallpaper" is not there - and this is what abeer_d wanted

If you do not have any wallpaper at this location :-

Try right clicking on a picture on the web and "set as wallpaper"

you will then find it at the above address - then if you do it again it will replace this one - if you want to keep it you will have to copy and paste it to - C:\WINDOWS\web\wallpaper - ( where it will then be available from the desktop drop down list) or you will lose it

steam

12. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy steam

I figured you were using return and enter as the same...
    I just thought it might be confusing abeer_d as there is no return key

I had never look at the web/wallpaper folder... Most of the wallpapers I use are pictures I have taken with my camera...once in a while I will save an image from the net but... If you save it as a .BMP to the root of the C:\Windows folder it is automaticly added to the list of backgrounds in display properties without going to the web/wallpaper folder...

I never have set a wallpaper from the net without saving it first.

different ways to do the same thing

buck

13. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi buck

I didn't know that, I've always put .bmp's or .jpg's in the web/wallpaper folder - you learn something new every day ;)

steam

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice