1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

want default for folder to be open

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by adsmith82, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adsmith82

adsmith82 Thread Starter

When I double click a folder, the default action is search. I want it to be open. In Folder Options > File Types, there are 2 entries that manage folders, "File Folder" and "Folder". It seems that whatever I make default in File Folder actually becomes default, but not so for Folder. The problem is that Open is in Folder, not File Folder.

Also, if I click Advanced for either one and click New, I can't delete or edit the new entry or any of the entries that were already there for that matter. Now I have some extra ones that I created for testing purposes that I can't delete. I found them in a couple spots in the registry. Is deleting these entries in the registry the only way to remove these? Why can't I just click Remove in the Edit File Type window?

Thanks for your input.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

adsmith82, Here's an easy solution that will correct that problem.

Go to Start/Run and type in:

regsvr32 /i shell32

Click OK

Note that the spacing is important.

If the above doesn't correct the problem which it should use this automated edit:

Search Opens When Double Clicking a Folder or Drive (Line 18 right column)
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

Tufenuf

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice