want default for folder to be open

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

adsmith82

When I double click a folder, the default action is search. I want it to be open. In Folder Options > File Types, there are 2 entries that manage folders, "File Folder" and "Folder". It seems that whatever I make default in File Folder actually becomes default, but not so for Folder. The problem is that Open is in Folder, not File Folder.

Also, if I click Advanced for either one and click New, I can't delete or edit the new entry or any of the entries that were already there for that matter. Now I have some extra ones that I created for testing purposes that I can't delete. I found them in a couple spots in the registry. Is deleting these entries in the registry the only way to remove these? Why can't I just click Remove in the Edit File Type window?

Thanks for your input.

adsmith82, Here's an easy solution that will correct that problem.

Go to Start/Run and type in:

regsvr32 /i shell32

Click OK

Note that the spacing is important.

If the above doesn't correct the problem which it should use this automated edit:

Search Opens When Double Clicking a Folder or Drive (Line 18 right column)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

Tufenuf

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts